Santa Magical Key

Santa Magical Key

Can someone tell me if there is a "best way" to model this key? I did portions of the barrel, adding torus, etc. I can lathe some, but the fluted ribs (I tried splines) and the scalloped donut are particularly tough.

I have sent some AI files and some STL files to the Chinese designers, but it seems that they still can't quite grasp the idea, so I may need to send a better model. Surprisingly, they had no difficulty with the Celtic-style top part of the key.

Your suggestions would be appreciated. I can perhaps keep you on the nice list.

Attachments

• Santas-Magic-Key-concept-sml.jpg
    Santas-Magic-Key-concept-sml.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 302
Fluted ribs:
* Flower spline
* Extrude modifier
* Bulge modifier
Scalloped torus:
* Torus, editable plus angled as required
* Ring modifier
Cheers

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-03-07 at 09.10.22.png
    Screen Shot 2014-03-07 at 09.10.22.png
    148 KB · Views: 286
Last edited:
Hi Stephen
re scalopped torus:
* There is also a script called Torus helix or torus coil by courtesy of Herbert Looser / 2006. I am not sure if I downloaded it from C3D, so I include a zipped version. Dump into the spline folder and use.
Cheers

PS: invert the X or Z scale if you need to switch the rotation.

Attachments

• helix torus.js.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 204
  • Screen Shot 2014-03-07 at 12.15.45.png
    Screen Shot 2014-03-07 at 12.15.45.png
    226.1 KB · Views: 296
Last edited:
Aletrnative

Another simple option is:
* helical sweep
* bend modifier to create a helical torus
* these are all parametrical, so you can fine-tune as required
Cheers

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-03-07 at 12.52.37.png
    Screen Shot 2014-03-07 at 12.52.37.png
    259.3 KB · Views: 276
Hi Stephen
re scalopped torus:
* There is also a script called Torus helix or torus coil by courtesy of Herbert Looser / 2006. I am not sure if I downloaded it from C3D, so I include a zipped version. Dump into the spline folder and use.
Cheers

PS: invert the X or Z scale if you need to switch the rotation.

@Helmut thanks for uploading the script.
@Herbert Looser Thanks for writing the script. [torus coil.js ]

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-03-07 at 2.04.33 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-03-07 at 2.04.33 PM.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 266
Thank you so much for those quick pointer, Helmut.
And TY uncle808us for the script.

I am having a bit of trouble duplicating the bulge. I've been testing, but can't figure out how to set the cage, and what orientation settings to use to create that perfect bulge - almost precisely what I was seeking.

The torus modifications are great - thank you. I will be able to provide the designers with a very good STL model to use with this modeling as a start.

Thank you so much for those quick pointer, Helmut.
And TY uncle808us for the script.

I am having a bit of trouble duplicating the bulge. I've been testing, but can't figure out how to set the cage, and what orientation settings to use to create that perfect bulge - almost precisely what I was seeking.

The torus modifications are great - thank you. I will be able to provide the designers with a very good STL model to use with this modeling as a start.

I did nothing Helmut uploaded the script and Herbert Looser wrote the script. [torus coil.js ]
I'm glad your project is having success. Cheers.

Thank you again. I forgot that the modifier hand to effect a mesh.
Here's what I'm going to send to my factory as a better example of the ten ribbed flutes, with curves, and xtals. Not perfect, but it should give them a better idea than what they keep sending me ;)

Attachments

• Santa-Key-SideVw-render.jpg
    Santa-Key-SideVw-render.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 242
Thank you all. The key is in the mold process, based on art revisions supplied by me with suggestions and help from you. Wow, what a great piece of software and a fabulously friendly forum.

Back