A couple newb questions regarding fresnel and rendering

A couple newb questions regarding fresnel and rendering

I'm learning Cheetah and trying to do some composites with a background photo. A couple weird things are happening.

First, whenever I use the fresnel option for reflection, my camera background image seems to show through on the edges of the rendered object. I'd expect this if I had a fresnel effect on the transparency channel but not for reflection. There is no transparency on the objects.

Second, some of my models get these weird rendering artifact near edges. I've tried changing the rendering settings for antialiasing and the subdivision setting on the object but neither seems to have an effect. My geometry seems fine - nothing overlapping or anything. If I render at twice the size, the artifacts are twice as small. Which is sort of a solution, but not really. :)

Anyone have any ideas why these things are happening and how to get past them? Thanks!

Attachments

• ball.jpg
    ball.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 233

It would be helpful for you to send the file over so it can be examined.

Also what versions of the OS and Cheetah are you using?

ZooHead, no problem.

The file is on another machine but here is a similar file with the same transparency issue that I set up quickly.

I'm using version 6.3.1.

Thanks!

Attachments

• fresnal.zip
    160.9 KB · Views: 202

Check this link about the Spots

The other problem is with the shadowmat material.
I quartered the plane and put other textures on opposing corners,
which reflect fine, but the shadowmat is transparent.

I also added an hdr to complicate things.

Attachments

• Shadow Mat Prob.jpg
    Shadow Mat Prob.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 216

The solution appears to be to put a render tag on the plane
with the shadowmat, and uncheck visible in reflections.

Attachments

• render tag.jpg
    render tag.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 207
  • Shadow Mat tag.jpg
    Shadow Mat tag.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 199
Yup, I think you got it! Man, I thought I was trying everything but apparently not. Thanks, I knew that couldn't be right.

Back