Mighty Mouse

Mighty Mouse

Hi,
has anybody already checked out the new four-button mouse from Apple.

http://www.apple.com/mightymouse/

It offers a 360° scroll wheel. Wouldn't that scrollwheel be cool for rotating the camera around a object? I definitively have to get such a rodent. :wink:

By,
Martin

I've been using the Logitech mx700 with lots of programmable buttons, scroll wheels etc for a couple years. There is a smaller version for laptops. They have been great. Work great with Expose etc.

Why didn't apple mac a wireless version of this mouse. With Apple's focus on wireless this and wireless that, why design a new mouse that's not wireless. Who needs another mouse tethered to your computer? There are thousands of these already available. The sideways scrolling looks interesting, but is it enough to justify a new mouse?

Hi,
you are right there are many other mice already out there. Nevertheless the Mighty Mouse offers some quite cool stuff like the 360° scroll wheel which is very cool in my eyes. It also doesn't have any buttons just some hidden sensors. I don't know how it feels not haveing any real buttons (which click) but at least the button switch can't get out of order anymore (my last mouse died due to such a defect button switch).
Last but not least the Mighty Mouse is from Apple and it looks gorgeous. :D But that is subjective.

By,
Martin

P.S. OK Bluetooth would have been nice but I still prefer the good old wire. So I don't need a battery for the mouse.

I will agree on the aesthetics, but I'll have to wait and see about the 360 scroll wheel or ball or whatever it is called. Could make me dizzy.

@ Martin. Although it doesn't have a real button, the click sound is produced by a tiny speaker that's build in the mouse. I think it also produces other sounds depending on the kind of button you click (or scroll). I think it's quite handy using a two button mouse with Cheetah, you get all the tools with just on click. If you might find a good use for the scroll ball that would be very cool and I might buy one of those mice.

Regards,
Peter

I'm wondering if applications can really exploit this new mouse, given that all of the extra functionality in the MightyMouse can be assigned to Tiger functions (ie: Exposé, dashboard, app switching, etc...), as well as for automatic scrolling in scrollwindows, and so I guess applications could interfere with these Tiger actions.

I imagine an OpenGL application programmed to take the most from the 4-button capability of this mouse, as well as the scrollball, but... what if this interferes with the Tiger functionality? (imagine your app assigns the scrollball for panning, but the user clicks it and voila, he gets Exposé instead of panning in your app...)

So, any ideas about if this mouse can _really_ be used for applications functionality rather than Tiger features?

It seems not every user is happy with the MightyMouse... some people is recommending to try it first at an Apple store. But I'd like to get one...

Btw, I've been doing the exercise of whether I raise my left finger when right-clicking (which seems to be required with Mighty), and I'm used to do so, but with Logitech mouses... So, I don't know if my hand will work the same with the elliptical Mighty. I tried to emulate the feeling with my Apple 1-button mouse... and I believe it's comfortable for me to raise the left finger while right-clicking, but I'm not sure of what will happen with the real thing.

Hi,
thanks for the arstechnica link. As always that was a very detailed review. It also solved my question if there would be a click noise.

Nevertheless I will try it first in a shop. But I'm sure that the "Mighty Mouse" is a mighty mouse.

By,
Martin

I just hope this won't clutter the interface on most Mac programs. (tho I guess it will.)

One button makes for simple interface. Like cheetah, for example. (I hope cheetah won't change its interface, btw.)

Fruity said:
I just hope this won't clutter the interface on most Mac programs. (tho I guess it will.)

One button makes for simple interface. Like cheetah, for example. (I hope cheetah won't change its interface, btw.)
Actually, one-button or two-button mice make the interface more complex for 3D apps, because togglebuttons (or key combinations in the keyboard) are needed to define the current mouse action (panning/zooming/rotating). In the world of UNIX workstations, where 3-button mice were standard (shipped with every new workstation), many applications had a fully usable 3D view without any navigation-mode togglebutton (which saved GUI space for really necessary buttons, or for having a bigger 3D view), and you could fully navigate in 3D with just one hand in the mouse, and the other hand free for drinking Coke.

Anyway, in my opinion, one-button mice are very comfortable for most desktop applications (except 3D and games). Being new to the Mac, I've fallen in love with its one-button mouse, I really like it. But for 3D, or for playing games, it's not very functional, as you need to either push togglebuttons, or use the keyboard, and that's not comfortable at all.

Btw, the MightyMouse seems to have been very well designed to behave (and look) as a standard one-button mouse unless the user wants it to use it as multibutton.

Although, I've my doubts, because given its price there're some points that I don't see clear:

1-As told in AppleInsider... how do you clean the scrollball when it's dirty? Honestly, I wouldn't care about this if it was a $20 mouse, but at $50 durability is an important issue.

2-Some users feel uncomfortable and returned it to the shop. This means that you can't buy it without trying it first, and that's not a good symptom.

3-Tell me stupid, but I really like the transparent plastic of my current Apple mouse, and I guess I'll miss it with this new mouse.

I'm not sure if you've gotten your Mighty Mouse yet but I have one, if there is anything you'd like me to try out.

Also you can simulate the left to right scrolling in Cocoa Apps by holding down shift and using a standard up down scroll wheel. I'm not sure if the Mighty Mouse just sends a shift + scroll wheel up / down to accomplish this.

Also it appears that the right click button is not read if the left finger is resting on the mouse. Meaning you cannot press both buttons at the same time that just shows up as a left click.

jmcguire said:
I'm not sure if you've gotten your Mighty Mouse yet but I have one, if there is anything you'd like me to try out.

I wanted to buy one but my monitor died before. Until I know how much the repair costs or if I have to buy a new monitor the mighty mouse is on hold. :cry:
Currently I'm stuggling with my ancient reserve monitor also known as "The stamp" .:wink:

By,
Martin

mighty mouse

i have been using my mighty mouse for a few days now the scroll wheel takes some getting used to but it looks great, feels great and is made by apple need i say more :D james

Hi,
today I got my "Mighty Mouse". :D It feels great and I'm already adding a "Mighty Mouse" mouse mode to Cheetah3D to use the scroll ball for rotating the camera. It already works quite well at after you've got used to it. :D

By,
Martin

Back