Convert Solidworks file to .jas .fbx

Convert Solidworks file to .jas .fbx

Hi,

I have my eye on a model I'd like to buy but it's in Solidworks format and i'd like to convert it to .fbx, it's and oil platform so I'd like to keep the parts separate, barrels, boxes, crane .. ect

Can Cheetah convert these file to a .fbx with textures as I'd like to use it in Unity 3D.

Thanks.

Kevin.

Hi Frank,

Spoke to the person selling the rig and he said he can supply the model in any of these formats, can any of those be used with cheetah the exported to Unity 3D with textures and still separate parts ?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-24 at 09.16.56.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-24 at 09.16.56.png
    31 KB · Views: 3,409
The one on TS is published in 2009!

STL should work and DXF maybe - but stl won´t contain any UVs - so the model won´t be textured.

Cheers
Frank

I'll add that the .stl will triangulate the mesh. I just encountered that importing some 3d objects one of our engineers made.

I used Blender to get rid of the triangles by selecting the object and then using keyboard shortcut Alt-J. Then I used the Decimate Modifier to reduce polygons. I'm not sure if having triangulated meshes is ok with you, but thought I'd add what I did to reduce them.

I'll add that the .stl will triangulate the mesh. I just encountered that importing some 3d objects one of our engineers made.

I used Blender to get rid of the triangles by selecting the object and then using keyboard shortcut Alt-J. Then I used the Decimate Modifier to reduce polygons. I'm not sure if having triangulated meshes is ok with you, but thought I'd add what I did to reduce them.

Just downloaded Blender what is your settings and procedure for getting rid of triangles? Also the decimate procedure?
I have never used Blender.
Thank you.

Just downloaded Blender what is your settings and procedure for getting rid of triangles? Also the decimate procedure?
I have never used Blender.
Thank you.

Here are the steps I take:

1 Open Blender
2 Select and delete the default cube by pressing X key and select delete from the pull down menu (the default mouse select in Blender is the right mouse button. You can change that in preferences.).
3 Import your file that has tri's.
4 Select the object. I think you may have to go into edit mode, which you can get to by using the tab key.
5 Use the keyboard combo Alt-j, this should remove the triangles.
6 Apply a decimate modifier if needed. I usually select the "planar" option. You have to exit edit mode by hitting the tab key. Then you apply the modifier.

I can make a video tomorrow if that helps. :cool:

Here are the steps I take:

1 Open Blender
2 Select and delete the default cube by pressing X key and select delete from the pull down menu (the default mouse select in Blender is the right mouse button. You can change that in preferences.).
3 Import your file that has tri's.
4 Select the object. I think you may have to go into edit mode, which you can get to by using the tab key.
5 Use the keyboard combo Alt-j, this should remove the triangles.
6 Apply a decimate modifier if needed. I usually select the "planar" option. You have to exit edit mode by hitting the tab key. Then you apply the modifier.

I can make a video tomorrow if that helps. :cool:
That would be great. Blender is quite daunting at first look.:redface:

Ok, here's the screen cast. It's not the greatest in the world. Screenflow was suppose to record all the keystrokes, but it didn't do a very good job of it. So I've added some notes on top of the video.

Hope this helps! The Decimator is optional though. My main goal was to get rid of all the triangles. After Decimating the object, there could/would be some minor cleanup, but easier than doing it all by hand.

http://vimeo.com/110168463

Ok, here's the screen cast. It's not the greatest in the world. Screenflow was suppose to record all the keystrokes, but it didn't do a very good job of it. So I've added some notes on top of the video.

Hope this helps! The Decimator is optional though. My main goal was to get rid of all the triangles. After Decimating the object, there could/would be some minor cleanup, but easier than doing it all by hand.

http://vimeo.com/110168463

Thank you very much this will be of great value to me in the future. I belong to Vimeo so I could download the video. Thanks again.:icon_thumbup: :icon_thumbup: :icon_thumbup:

Back