first time "serious" face modelling

first time "serious" face modelling

Man... so much more to learn...
first time I box-modelled a face to a level I can show it - at least I think :wink:

hardest part was the eye... so will be the ears. I'm far from finishing her but anyways...
tell me what you think - any comments welcome.

cheers,
-t0m

Attachments

• grl_01.jpg
    grl_01.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 1,038
Weel done

Hi Tom,
Excellent result for a first go. The eye area is tough but you've done well. As for the ears, try and find a couple of images to help you. When you're doing a second pass on the model, tightening things up have a look at the area around the nose I think it needs some tweaking.
Keep up the excellent work and posting your results.

Andrew :)

P.S. That's supposed to say well done.

thanks square. basically I knew how to do it, it's just that I wasn't satisfied... now here's the 3rd try and it starting to look like an ear ;)

in my opinion the lips came out quite good - the neck seems to thin... any comments besides that?
How should i do brows, eyelashes, hair?

-t0m

Attachments

• grl_03.jpg
    grl_03.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 654
Hello!
Looks pretty good, but in my opinion eyes are too big and nose is too small. You should fix them. But still, its nice work you have done!

Margus,

I agree, even if originally she was supposed to be more cartoonish than really anatomical (I fugured that would be easier for a first face ;) )...

I'll give her some more tweaks, she's squinting anyways
-t0m

Perhaps angle the ears out a bit, as they look a bit squashed into the head?

Probably best to do the eyebrows as a bumpmap, as part of the face texture. The hair and eyelashes as simple geometry with an alpha channel and transparency. I think there's quite a few tutorials on the web about it.

haven't got to texturing just yet...
I decided to give it a try and keep on modelling for a body.
First time I've gotten this far without giving it up dissapointed in myself.
I am quite happy with her backside. neck, shoulders, elbows, lower back and the booty :tongue:.
the front pelvic area needs more tweaking...
I just stopped at the knees - this will prolly take a whole day I figure.

to those who never tried modelling a human character poly by poly: try it, it's a lot of fun, in fact I do feel like a sculptor (with the difference that you cannot take off too many)

comments welcome - learning is fun :icon_thumbup:

cheers,
-t0m

Attachments

• grl_01.jpg
    grl_01.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 593
  • grl_02.jpg
    grl_02.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 591
yeah, true... I did spend hours on the torso and hands/arms regions.
But I already made the eyes a little smaller anyways they still could be downsized somewhat... I agree on the neck, especially in the back view it seems too edgy. I'll keep it all in mind for the final tweaking - someday... if there will be a "final" ... ever ;)

-t0m

haven't got to texturing just yet...
I decided to give it a try and keep on modelling for a body.
First time I've gotten this far without giving it up dissapointed in myself.
I am quite happy with her backside. neck, shoulders, elbows, lower back and the booty :tongue:.
the front pelvic area needs more tweaking...
I just stopped at the knees - this will prolly take a whole day I figure.

to those who never tried modelling a human character poly by poly: try it, it's a lot of fun, in fact I do feel like a sculptor (with the difference that you cannot take off too many)

comments welcome - learning is fun :icon_thumbup:

cheers,
-t0m

Cool, I love it. you need to decide the style of the character, get some ref. images and let that inspire you as you model. I must say, I modeled loads of figures and learn so much. Just because they wound up left half finished, they contribute to the next attempt. One thing I would suggest is life drawing class, it helps so much.

Andrew

P.S. Thanks for posting your development and keep up the good work.

phew... legs... tweaked and shifted edges and polies and points in her face, on her breasts, stomach and butt for hours now and just dont seem to get it right... the image is in my head but it's not quite getting there... anyways, here's a progress pic.

cheers,
-t0m

Attachments

• grl_09.jpg
    grl_09.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 272
Back