Confused about scale?

Confused about scale?

Hi community,

I am building some models in Sketchup to feet and inches Architectural and Importing into Cheetah using .3ds at import scale .010. My models come in at a pretty good size but when I import other objects that I am finding like cars, furniture etc. they don't have the same scale. Is there something I can do to get this scale thing under control? There is also a problem trying to use the ruler on imported objects like cars I haven't been able to get it to work? I made the car editable and selected verticies.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,
the problem with .3ds files seems to be that every apps saves them in different units. Thats why I added the autonormalization feature to the .3ds loader. FBX file seem to be much more consistent in their units.

The ruler tool only works on selected, editable polygon objects if your in point/edge or polygon mode. But I plan to extend the ruler tool to measure between objects, splines and so on.

Bye,
Martin

The ruler tool only works on selected, editable polygon objects if your in point/edge or polygon mode.

Yes, thanks Martin. On my car I imported it would not select a point, edge etc. to get a measurement. I don't know what I'm doing wrong?

Hi.
Just a guess: Your car is stripped down into segments.
So pick one in the Object browser and click on one vertex, click now on the next object you want to clear up the distance and click again on a vertex. In addition you can go back to the first mesh again and choose another vertex and will receive the distance again AND the degree of the angle. Cool thing, heh?

With kindest regards
Frank

Attachments

• Measurements.jpg
    Measurements.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 330
Frank - thanks I finally got a read out but I don't know what it means?

For example my car measured 2.012 from front to back which is what I want to measure, What I need for it to tell me is how many feet and inches the car is. There is no way to get a relationship between the building and the car with out some sort of common measurement e.g. feet and inches or meters. Unless that is meters which the help guide doesn't say anything about. Understand that in Architecture these things are critical.

Thanks for any further insight.

Last edited:
For example my car measured 2.012 from front to back which is what I want to measure, What I need for it to tell me is how many feet and inches the car is.

As far as I know, the units in Cheetah3D are entirely relative and could represent centimeters, feet, miles, or what have you. When I'm modeling something real, I generally treat 1 C3D unit as 1 foot.

As far as I know, the units in Cheetah3D are entirely relative and could represent centimeters, feet, miles, or what have you. When I'm modeling something real, I generally treat 1 C3D unit as 1 foot.

I kind of figured that, thanks. I guess the solution is to bring as many of the components in from SU and replace with better models later, for example a car model bought from a vendor. At least I'd have a car in place to be able to size the new model to.

"Scale it down."

Hi
That´s why SU put in this little CTD (crash test dummy) into its scenario when you start to model and it would be a good start to export this dummy with your scene moving to Cheetah3d, otherwise you sure would have noticed that the car you put in front of your building in the other thread is too large.
And, oh well, the other thing is at the end YOU must know the SIZE of all these things you´re including to your scene.
And when one is criticised by the client, you can´t tell: "Oh by the way I checked the proportions twice and has to look that way." If he reminds you to scale it down for some reason, you have to, and your well known proportions will go to hell.;-)

With kindest regards
Frank.

Hi
That´s why SU put in this little CTD (crash test dummy) into its scenario when you start to model and it would be a good start to export this dummy with your scene moving to Cheetah3d, otherwise you sure would have noticed that the car you put in front of your building in the other thread is too large.
And, oh well, the other thing is at the end YOU must know the SIZE of all these things you´re including to your scene.
And when one is criticised by the client, you can´t tell: "Oh by the way I checked the proportions twice and has to look that way." If he reminds you to scale it down for some reason, you have to, and your well known proportions will go to hell.;-)

With kindest regards
Frank.

Frank,

Thanks for the reply. SU has an excellent ruler tool, you don't need the crash test dummy. I've been in the Architecture business for thirty years so as far as knowing the size of things I'm pretty clear on that. And, if a client tells me to change something for asthetic reasons that's their right but I have to be able to "show" them that it is correct to begin with. The license to adjust things for the benefit of the model be it a physical model or a 3d model goes without saying.

Back