Kinemac 1.6 really cool !

Yes still the same problem !

Yes I know this problem, the function to Kinemac is wrapping the texture all-around the object and that's it, I don't think that there's some UV or something else like this in Kinemac, its still in development.

But I will try ....

Sadly it looks more like a tech demo right now that a useful program.

It's essentially a 3D equivalent to Videoworks (except that even Videoworks -- which evolved into Macromind Director -- had rudimentary scripting in version 1). The way it works now, you still have to pre-render everything since you can't build controls into it, and it's not integrated with video production tools (like Trinity 3D).

Kinemac and textures

Hi All,
sorry for the slow reply, im just to busy to get into the fun :(

Anyways, here is what i do to get textures wrapped in Kinemac.

1. make a model, a dice or something easy as a test. save it as .3ds

2. make a texture, and bake it.

2.5 (i edit the texture in Photoshop, but i guess you can do it in Cheetah if you want to, make sure the texture is a .TIF or another compatible format)

3. Open Kinemac, drag your object into the stage or use the Objects menu in the menu line and choose import .3ds

4. You might have to do some scaling to get the model up in size.

5. Now with the model scaled up nize, klifk on the texture tab/icon in the top right (its a cube with a color spectrum texture, not to be confused with the colorpicker symbol above it)

6. In the texture tab drag your texture (from the finder) and place it in the empty image frame. double click the frame (now containing your texture) under Image. a huge dialog box will pop up.

7. Under Texture, localize the Area area eh… and choose Crop under the Fill: context/popup menu. this will scale your texture so that it fits nicely on all the sides of the dice (or whatever model you might want to texture.

Notes:

I find the texture fitting not to quite exact, specially when i zoom in close. this might have something to do with the pixleborder setting in Cheetas Bake textures tab, not sure, i really sont have the time to play these days, but i guess the challenge is up for grabs, if any one wants to explore it further.

Kinemac, can become a really smooth tool for realtime 3D graphics. I have experience from working with VIZ[RT] and for broadcast/online realtime graphics is "kick ass!".
If ever Kinemac gets a video out feature ( so that its possible to send realtime generated graphics out in pal or ntsc format, hopefully SDI) and a proper way to execute pre-animated sequences (be able to execute pre animated super, butterfly, intros, bullets, or what ever pre animated graphics one can imagine), it can fill a gap in online realtime graphics that will make low budget broadcasters glad all over.

For now it s very cool low budget realtime animation software.

Support for the native .knc in Cheetah would make Cheetah the preferred choice for any 3D artist working Kinemac.

Hope this helps. Try out the demo, get on the forum, this might just be the one cool app you never knew you were missing until now.

later

Jan

Back