matlab & cheetah3d

matlab & cheetah3d

I'm interested in trying to visualize some 3D data from MATLAB in Cheetah3D.

The data in matlab is a three dimensional array of points (where the actual value in the array represents the intensity for the given x, y, and z location) and I'd like to import the data into Cheetah3D. What data format is required to accomplish such tasks? Is there specific documentation on this type of format if it were to be, say, binary.

I could not find any information regarding this type of problem in either this forum, the help, or the web.

Cheers,
Hat

Frank,

Matlab doesn't handle 3D imaging very well. There are only simple 3D plotting/imaging routines. I can get an Isosurface,
%ISOSURFACE Isosurface extractor.
% FV = ISOSURFACE(X,Y,Z,V,ISOVALUE) computes isosurface geometry for
% data V at isosurface value ISOVALUE. Arrays (X,Y,Z) specify the points
% at which the data V is given. The struct FV contains the faces and
% vertices of the isosurface and can be passed directly to the PATCH
% command.
where fv.vertices contains an mx3 array and fv.faces contains an nx3 array.

I imagine that with the isosurface routine I could loop through the vertices and write them out to a text file (.obj), but I'd like to avoid an isosurface, even if it means writing my own routine to convert the data to a given format, but would be willing to start with something like isosurface simply because the data that I already have available forms a "surface" and would just like to see said surface in three dimensions.

Thanks,
Hat

Maybe you can paste the calculation in Grapher (standard OS X app). I know that TG_jp made a script based on some Grapher calculations. (it must be somewhere on the forum).Here it is . Maybe it will help you?

Regards and good luck,

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for the suggestion, however, there are no calculations involved. I have data that I am looking at modeling in 3 space.

After thinking about the problem for a while, I think the best solution would be to do a point could model. I am not really intersted in making surfaces/forming vertices/etc. I would just like to display the information in 3-space and be able to move around the data.

Back