Particle mesh I

Particle mesh I

Part I (repetition in architecture):
* The general method for repeating objects is the deployment of the array- and ring-modifiers. An alternative and often superior / more flexible option is the use of particle meshes (PM). When PMs are applied to 2D entities (ie polys or surfaces) you can refine the affected area by specifying an associated shading selection. This allows using a single mesh as the domain of 16 (Ø point origin, ie Ø..15) different subselections.
* In the example I have defined different selections of the generic mesh of a hypothetical church, based on the orthogonal metric of the bays and the radial °metric of the apse. These different selections will be used as the domain for two distinct particles:

1 panel bottom, ie perimeter wall of the nave, transepts and ambulatory
2 panel top, ie clerestory of nave, crossing and apse

* The application of a particle tag to the elements of the particle meshes allows to fine tune the prime parameters (position, rotation and scale)of instantiations of an element used by the different meshes / poly-selections.
* Compared to arrays and rings you have superior degrees of freedom in tweaking the metrics.

Screen shots:
1 the generic grid with different shading selections 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5
2 the two objects,
2a lower panel for aisles & ambulatory and
2b upper panel for clerestory & upper apse
3 the particle meshes as a function to the grid
4 C3D result
5 note the settings of the particle tag to fine tune the parameters of the instanced primitive.

Attachments

• SS #1.png
    SS #1.png
    289.8 KB · Views: 544
  • SS #2.png
    SS #2.png
    350.6 KB · Views: 524
  • SS #3a.png
    SS #3a.png
    292.2 KB · Views: 553
  • SS #3.png
    SS #3.png
    337.5 KB · Views: 533
  • SS #4.png
    SS #4.png
    383.4 KB · Views: 542
Part II (repetition in architecture):
* Note that multiple objects can be assigned to the PM node.
* You can split the prime particle into subelements
* During animation you can simulate the building process by keyframing the many available perimeters in the subelement or the associated particle tag.

Screen shots:
1 splitting the original object into a particle cluster
2 binding the cluster to the PMs
3 C3D result

Attachments

• Part Cluster 01.png
    Part Cluster 01.png
    110.6 KB · Views: 498
  • Partr Cluster 02.png
    Partr Cluster 02.png
    296.4 KB · Views: 511
  • Screen Shot 2014-04-19 at 12.09.05.png
    Screen Shot 2014-04-19 at 12.09.05.png
    392 KB · Views: 519
WIP / work in progress

1 Well, this works quite nicely for a 1st draft
2 and now for some advanced particle meshes for columns and hyperboloid vaulting :rolleyes:
PS: sorry for the poor IQ, these screen dumps are a bit of a mega byte...

Attachments

• ext view.png
    ext view.png
    320.7 KB · Views: 446
  • int view.png
    int view.png
    471.8 KB · Views: 436
Hi-Res query

Hi kraster
* Hi.Res images are (in theory) possible. The practical problem is the upload limit imposed in this forum on the attached files, 488 KB for JPEGs / PDFs / 732 KB for zippies.
* For this model, a .PNG is ≈ 2 MB, the .jas doc is currently (WIP / incomplete) ≈ 8.4 MB.
* I have no problem sending screen dumps via eMail, if you - temporarily - reset the permissions in your profile to permit such communication.

Servus from Vienna

Hi kraster
* Hi.Res images are (in theory) possible. The practical problem is the upload limit imposed in this forum on the attached files, 488 KB for JPEGs / PDFs / 732 KB for zippies.
* For this model, a .PNG is ≈ 2 MB, the .jas doc is currently (WIP / incomplete) ≈ 8.4 MB.
* I have no problem sending screen dumps via eMail, if you - temporarily - reset the permissions in your profile to permit such communication.

Servus from Vienna

Hi Helmut,
  • I've enabled the E-mail in my profile. I'd really appreciate the screen dumps if you get the time!
  • What's the advantage of using the particle tag as opposed to simply transforming the particle component?

Beautiful work Helmut!!!
Stunning approach and application of the Cheetah3D toolset - I LOVE IT - I previously understood the particle selection aspect of the Particle Mesh - but you have really shown the power of what can be done with the proper planning and execution - BRAVO I say!!!

:icon_thumbup::icon_thumbup: Two thumbs up - Way UP!!

Thanks for all the compliments:smile:
I dumped redundant bells and whistles from the model, so a zipped .jas fits for an upload. As mentioned above, this is still very much work in progress.
I will be visiting the actual "building site" in a couple of months to study some of the more tricky details of the building. With some good luck my model should be finished before 2026, the planned completion date of the basilica. To paraphrase Basil Fawlty: "He was from Barcelona!" :tongue:
@ kraster: Please deactivate the eMail option in your profile again as it won´t be required.
Servus from Vienna

Attachments

• ParticleMeshes.jas.zip
    689.2 KB · Views: 440
Back