Creating and (re-)using textures

Creating and (re-)using textures

I have just purchased Cheetah, and is trying to get the hang of texture.

The parameters of the texture dialogue do not yet seem logic to me:
ambient 1.000 - what is that? What are the top and bottom values? What value would for instance metal be in this context?
The same questions go for the rest of the parameters.

I have tried to drag'n'drop a texture from one document to an other, but this does not seem to work. Is there an easy way to create a texture library - so I can reuse textures created in preveous projects?

Is there a thorough tutorial or manual for working with textures?

Regards

Kaaare Baekgaard

Re: Creating and (re-)using textures

Hi,

Arkibal said:
The parameters of the texture dialogue do not yet seem logic to me:
ambient 1.000 - what is that? What are the top and bottom values? What value would for instance metal be in this context?
The same questions go for the rest of the parameters.

In the point light you can set a ambient light term. If you now set in the material an ambient value of 1.0 it will use 100% of the ambient light comming form the light source. If you set ambient to 0 it won't use any term comming from an ambient light.

For creating a metal you have to increase the reflectivity of the material. But you also need an environment which could be reflected in the object. If you don't want to model a hole scene you could also use a HDRI or an environment map as an background which could be reflected in the object. Open the "Paw.jas" example file to see a metalic material setup.

Arkibal said:
I have tried to drag'n'drop a texture from one document to an other, but this does not seem to work. Is there an easy way to create a texture library - so I can reuse textures created in preveous projects?
Drag and drop doesn't work yet. But you can copy and paste materials between two documents.

To create a material library just create the materials and save them to a .jas file. Once you need them again just import the .jas file with the "File->Import" menu command.

Arkibal said:
Is there a thorough tutorial or manual for working with textures?

Sorry, there is no tutorial about assigning UV coords available yet. :oops: But I'm planning it.
There is a small explanation of how to asign UV coords in the documentation of the "UV Tag". It should explain the most improtant aspects.

By,
Martin

How do I tile them? I have brick and I wish to make a wall using it:

cheetah4.jpg

How do I scale and tile it?

Thanks!!!

Wm

william,

I just forwarded a emai,l to you, from Martin, which shows the settings you should use.

Back