Sample files - wireframe (?)

Sample files - wireframe (?)

I just started with Cheetah, so this might be a stupid question:
I am looking at the Sample Modelling files (i.e. Gecko.jas, Marty.jas) and noticed that even if no object is selected (besides the camera), the models still show a wireframe in the viewport, but not any other polygon that I add to the scene (see attached image). I don't see any specific material, tag or setting that would cause that - why is that?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-02-13 at 1.46.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-13 at 1.46.22 AM.png
    258.8 KB · Views: 341
Hi and Welcome!
I enabled the "isoparam(-etric)" shading at the mode tag - so one could easily see how simple the mesh is built.

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• IsoParm.png
    IsoParm.png
    16.9 KB · Views: 299
Group select ...

Thanks Frank for the speedy response!
I knew it was something simple, that I overlooked.

What I like at the Marty model, is that 'Group Select' allows to select certain part/groups of the model, like the leaves and fruit of the 'greenstuff' and the eyes, legs, etc. of Marty, although Marty and the green stuff are single meshes.
How do you assign groups and/or how could I see what groups are defined in a mesh?

Thanks in advance!

I think you´re talking about "Shade selections":

Cheers
Frank

PS: Well I´m confused: While group select on Marty´s parts just work in the UV-editor - group select will work on the green-stuff in 3d-view; select at least one polygon from the fruits or leaves and call "select group" and all connected polygons will be selected too. And assigning material to these selections will freeze them into the "Shade selection" property: Each mesh can carry 16 shade selections right now.

Attachments

• Shade Selections.png
    Shade Selections.png
    33.2 KB · Views: 296
  • ShadeSelections.png
    ShadeSelections.png
    106.3 KB · Views: 299
Last edited:
No - I am talking about selecting 'Group Select' from the 'Select' menu, then clicking somewhere on Marty's head and having all vertices of he head selected. Now I am wondering where is this 'group' of the head (and for the arms and legs) defined?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-02-13 at 2.48.36 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-13 at 2.48.36 AM.png
    205 KB · Views: 295
No - I am talking about selecting 'Group Select' from the 'Select' menu, then clicking somewhere on Marty's head and having all vertices of he head selected. Now I am wondering where is this 'group' of the head (and for the arms and legs) defined?
There are 2 cases: "Group select" and "select Group": one is for connected polygons - the other for UV islands:

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• MartysUVs.png
    MartysUVs.png
    35.2 KB · Views: 303
Thanks Jeanny!
Great - yes, that sounds like what I was looking for. I will have to try this on one of my very simple models later today.
Thanks again Jeanny and Frank!

@ Jeanny. You can introduce polygon selections by this method but when you try to assign materials let do the numbering by Cheetah3d - just select polygons and drag materials onto it - that´s it - no manually zapping through poly selections. ;)

Cheers
Frank

:) Thanks Frank! That is a whole lot easier. I know you mentioned it in one of your earlier posts to this thread
but I was wondering what if you don't want to assign a color to it?
What if you just want easy access to a particular group of polygons (especially if located in a position that is awkward to get to)?
Quite a while ago I came across a tut showing the method I posted.
I can't find it again so I don't remember what it pertained to.
Actually that method won't work for the purpose I mentioned either
because it doesn't allow for one to alter any geometry without loosing it's group assignment.:(

Is there anyway one can assign numbers to user selected polygon groups for later easy access and
allow the user to alter the geometry without loosing the group assignment.

Darn. :confused: I'm having trouble trying to explain myself. I'm hoping you can read my mind.
If you can my husband would appreciate a tut on how to do it. :lol:

My Best
Jeanny

Back