Splinar Doodlings #1

:confused: I wonder what I am doing wrong?
I can't get the bridge tool to bridge the gap.
Also . . .
When I give the Sweep-Creator's Rotate sweep a 270 degree angle I get buckles.

Could someone please help?

My Best
Jeanny

Attachments

• Splinecal Test.png
    Splinecal Test.png
    123.7 KB · Views: 230
  • Splinecal Test.jas.zip
    17 KB · Views: 181
Hi Jeanny
Q1: Prior to bridging you need to delete the 4 oblique / twisted quadrilaterals which have been created by the axial rotation of the sweep. This is a bit awkward as there is just a very small gap. If you miss one of the quadrilaterals, the bridge won´t find any anchors (I guess).
Q2: You have to fiddle with the approximation angle of the circular axis of the Möbius torus. 5° gives buckles, 1° gives buckles but 2° seems just right. Aka the Goldilocks principle:tongue:
Servus from Vienna

:) Thanks Helmut and Frank

With both your instructions I was able to close the gap however there is still
a slight buckling in one area.

I'm working on finding the wright words to ask some questions.

My Best
Jeanny

Hi Jeanny (don´t folks go to bed in your neck of the woods?)
* You may consider preforming a loop select on the one and only edge of the Möbius torus, do a crease toggle and apply a subdivision.

Hi Helmut
(don´t folks go to bed in your neck of the woods?)
It's only 12:40 PM here in the city of icicles. I don't have to start checking for bed comfort for quite a few hours yet.
It must be 6:40 PM where you are. What are you still working this late for? Didn't you hear the quitting whistle? :p
Glad you are still on the forum though and thanks for the new information.

Probably by the time I post my new questions you will be sleeping beside your Goldilocks.

My Best
Jeanny

Oops, I temporarily forgot that the Earth is a cube :confused: No wonder I occasionally stumble over unexpected vertices after a few beers :tongue:

Frere Jacues

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC6rvbxdywg

When you read this I'll be sound asleep because of the time change on my side of the "Cube".

I think I finally figured it out.
This is the best I could come up with.
Are there better settings I could have used?

Thanks again Helmut and Frank

My Best
Jeanny

Attachments

• Splinecal.png
    Splinecal.png
    140.5 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:
Good morning (I think, I got it right this time around :redface:
Looks very good and smooth to me.
And now for an advanced animated doodle with a torus knot :rolleyes:
Servus from Vienna:razz:

PS: correction, it´s not a torus knot but a toroidal helical loop

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-02-06 at 10.25.20.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-06 at 10.25.20.png
    250.8 KB · Views: 207
  • Möbius Torus 13.jas.zip
    39.2 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
:icon_thumbup: :icon_thumbup: :icon_thumbup: O-00-000! Sensational! Captivating!

An ANIMATED Toroidal Helical Loop all decked out in a blue radiant shader! Brilliant!

When I tried to render your jas file the png I attached to this post shows what I get. The image in the camera background is missing.
I tried to remove the Question mark image and replace it with another and I still get the Question mark background.
The camera is not locked. I don't know how else to correct this.
Can you please help me?

My Best
Jeanny

:smile: Thanks Frank!

Are there any suggestions as to what HDR image to use?

I will play around and see what I can come up with.

My Best
Jeanny

As usual, all we get from this Helmut guy is sloppy and fragmentary crap :frown: :evil:
On his behalf, I apologize and supply the script (courtesy of an unknown contributor, Herbert Loser 2006) for helical curves on a torus surface.
This works with the current C3D version and Mac OS Yosemite. You can fiddle useful params (number of loops, radii, what nots).
Sorry, my scripts are organized differently in sundry subfolders, so I can´t just upload a .jas.
As an apology, I donate a very small nanotube
Servus from Vienna

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-02-06 at 19.48.57.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-06 at 19.48.57.png
    200.9 KB · Views: 214
  • Nanotube 08.jas.zip
    18.2 KB · Views: 190
:D
It really doesn´t matter when the reflective part in the material isn´t enabled.
Thanks for the advise Frank. Goes to show how little I know and how easily I get confused.
As usual, all we get from this Helmut guy is sloppy and fragmentary crap
I'll take your what you call sloppy and fragmentary crap any day! Please keep it coming! To me it's all Gold!
I get ideas and learn something from every post.

Thanks for another Golden Goodie.

My Best
Jeanny

I used to think I was a smart dude. And then I peruse posts like this. Helmut, you take my brain to the outer rim of conceptual visualization. And Frank you seem to make child's play out of alternative, efficient ways to model. And all this is possible because of Martin.

I am in awe of y'all.

Back