Target Tag Issues

Target Tag Issues

I'm trying to set up a look target for a character's head + tilt, I've run into two issues and could really use some help. :)

1. Objects with a target tag face away from the target object instead of towards (+Z)

Is this by design? If so, how can I make the tagged object face forwards at the target? (Setting the first offset to 180 will break the other two axes)

Flipping the tagged bone and rebinding the mesh fixes this visually in Cheetah3D, but then causes issues in Unity.

2. If an up vector is specified for a target tag and the target is close to horizontal, weird non-smooth snappy behaviour occurs when the up vector object approaches being above the tagged object.

I've found it's possible to get around this by constraining the up vector object to be aligned to the XY plane of the tagged object by using a point + 2-axis-orient constraint, but I'd like to simplify this if possible.

I've attached a sample scene showing the problems. You can see the arrow points away from it's target, and the animation shows issue 2.

Attachments

• targetTagIssues.jas.zip
    3.5 KB · Views: 218
Hi and Welcome!
Just make sure your targeting object points to -Z/(-90P) in first place and everything is fine:

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• TargetTag.jas.zip
    6.1 KB · Views: 202
Hi! :)

Hmm, that transform modifier method doesn't seem to work for me for joints (attached).

I'm trying to to ensure the joints are facing +Z to accommodate modifying their rotations in Unity.

Attachments

• targetTagIssuesV2.jas.zip
    6.5 KB · Views: 200
This set-up wont work at all.
Am I right in saying the head-like mesh is part of a joint-system and should follow a target?

Cheers
Frank

Yep, right! I've also attached the actual character rig I've got, I'm trying to make the head follow the eye-shaped controller.

Attachments

• OciasCharacterTarget.jas.zip
    40.5 KB · Views: 191
You introduced a few issues here. First is you didn´t make the symmetry editable - if you stay that way you can´t animate left&right independently.
Split the head - turn it to -Z reset its coords and drag it to the head joint - now add target tag and target and so on.

See attached file:
Hit play button.

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• targetTagIssuesV3.jas.zip
    12.3 KB · Views: 195
Ok - here´s a quick reviewed version of your character. Maybe it´s working for you:

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• OciasCharacterTargetReviewed.jas.zip
    81.1 KB · Views: 201
Thanks Frank, yep, that appears to work. But having a split mesh won't work out for what I'm doing, so maybe I'll just drop the target tag for now.

Weird though that you mention potential issues with the symmetry modifier, I've been animating with it on and haven't run into any problems there.

Seems it´s a question of correct weighted vertices:
This one works as a whole mesh:

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• OciasCharacterTargetReviewed.jas.zip
    79.2 KB · Views: 196
  • TargetInsideCharacter.png
    TargetInsideCharacter.png
    36.8 KB · Views: 228
Back