Point Clouds

Point Clouds

I have a cloud of points (in an AutoCad200 dwg file) from a topographical survey, which I want to convert into a mesh somehow.:confused:

Any suggestions? There doesn't seem to be much around that I can find for OSX...

Thanks.

I have a cloud of points (in an AutoCad200 dwg file) from a topographical survey, which I want to convert into a mesh somehow.:confused:

Any suggestions? There doesn't seem to be much around that I can find for OSX...

Thanks.

I'm not sure of the format of your file. Is this x,delimiter,y,delimiter,z ? Or can you get there ? If yes and if you have SU pro, then there is a ruby script that will convert your cloud to a mesh. And then to .3ds or .fbx or .stl.
But the SU 6 free version can export with the free ruby .stl plug-in.
And if you don't have SU then I can try for you. Just PM the file.

Thanks.

You can also look at Meshlab (Intel Mac's only). Their front page says :

Input/output in many formats:
import:pLY, STL, OFF, OBJ, 3DS, COLLADA, PTX
export:pLY, STL, OFF, OBJ, 3DS, COLLADA, VRML, DXF
Point Clouds support. Now 3D files that are composed only by points are well supported in PLY and OBJ format.
U3D support; MeshLab is the first open source tool to provide direct conversion of 3D meshes into the U3D format. Now you can create pdf, like this with 3D objects with just MeshLab and LaTeX.

Oops, it turned out my file also had another layer with a mesh! :redface:

But Meshlab looks very interesting for cleaning/editing the mesh, so thank you for that information, Francios.

Back