Cheetah3D 4.5 Beta 2

Cheetah3D 4.5 Beta 2

Hi,
the first beta of Cheetah3D 4.5 seems to work quite well. Only a few bugs were reported which are fixed in the release now.

Change log since 4.5 beta 1:
-fixed crashing bug in render manager
-fixed crashing bug in triangulator
-fixed crashing bug in .3ds loader
-renamed some script parameters

Please be aware that this is beta software. So don't use it with important data.!!!

You can find the new beta at

http://cheetah3d.com/download/Cheetah3D4.5b2.zip

Please post your experiences with this beta in this forum thread.

A big thank you to all the bug reporters. You are a great help. :smile:

Bye,
Martin

Hello Martin! I still have a little display problem on my MacBook (late 2007 GMA 3100). When the app lunches, it doesn't display the grid but it appears when I create a first object.

And I've used cheetah to model text objects for the comercial I'm currently working on! (Will be aired soon on national TV channels if everything go fine).

Hi,
I've never heared that the grid doesn't appear. And I also don't have that problem on my iMac. That almost sounds like a driver bug. Will the grid disappear if you delete the created object?

Can we the the commercial. That sounds very exciting.:smile:

Bye,
Martin

The grid doesn't disappear when I delete the object, and it comes back to a normal behavior.
It's just a bit disturbing to have a blank screen when you start the app (or a create a new document).
If you don't create an object and use the scroll wheel the grid displays only some lines (in the center and far away, see attached pic).

I had this problem with Mac OS X 10.5.1 and 10.5.2 only on my MacBook. No problem on my PM G5.

For the commercial, if at the final it looks good I'll give it to you.

Attachments

• CheetahGrid.jpg
    CheetahGrid.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 266
The problem is still there with this build (4.5b3)
I agree with you it really looks like a driver bug. I also had strange display bugs with unity 2.0.1 but they found a workaround in 2.0.2.

Does adding a folder object already help to get the grid drawn properly.

Bye,
Martin

Last edited:
Hard to explain with words, it was like some geometry was deformed to infinity with strange colors.
If you can send me an installer of v2.0 or 2.0.1 I'll send you a screen shot.

Yes! It's working by adding an empty folder even with any modifier, creator and primitive. (But not with tags).

That's good to know. So I have an idea were to start searching for an work around.

I will see what I can do. I hope you have some time testing a few more betas.:wink:

Bye,
Martin

It's my pleasure to help you to make Cheetah even better as it already is. I've rarely seen a so well working app.

I bought Cheetah a few months ago but until recently I didn't really have time to put my hands on it. Each day I discover new possibilities with it. It's a long time I wasn't so excited by a 3D software!

Congratulations for all your amazing work!

Oh, that makes me really happy to hear. Thank you very much for your help.

And I'm 100% sure that it is a driver problem. I have to write a bug report to apple.

As you already said Unity has also some problems with the GMA 3100. So lets hope Apple improves these drivers.

Bye,
Martin

Just one last minor detail (importance of about 0.001/10) It's just to let you know. When you zoom out really really really really far, instead of seeing the far plane clipping the grid acts like on the previously sent screen shot.
It doesn't have any importance as nobody will ever work on such case but it's could be useful to know that it exists.

Just one last minor detail (importance of about 0.001/10) It's just to let you know. When you zoom out really really really really far, instead of seeing the far plane clipping the grid acts like on the previously sent screen shot.
It doesn't have any importance as nobody will ever work on such case but it's could be useful to know that it exists.

Mmm, yes that could be possible. The problem was that the grid (lines) didn't get drawn right if no other geometry was drawn first. So I draw some transparent geometry before I draw the grid. But if you zoom out very far that geometry might get that small that it doesn't get drawn anymore and the bug is back. Very annoying.

Lets see what Apple has to say. For the first I'm happy with the current bug work around. And scenes are rarely empty too. But thanks for the tip.

Bye,
Martin

martin,
a script I am working on seems to crash cheetah. I did the usual checks and the beta seems to have leaks. I'm sending the script.

Todd

Back