Rainbow Rose

They are in the process of finalizing the new Mac OSX version (the old version was for PowerPC macs). It's a script based modeler/renderer, so everything (as far as I know) is coded as a text file and then renders from that information - I've never used it so I cannot say how difficult it is to use. I personally prefer a GUI.

They are in the process of finalizing the new Mac OSX version (the old version was for PowerPC macs). It's a script based modeler/renderer, so everything (as far as I know) is coded as a text file and then renders from that information - I've never used it so I cannot say how difficult it is to use. I personally prefer a GUI.

Many years ago, I remember trying to use Renderman. No GUI to speak of at that time.
"Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the
depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!" (Ghostbusters)

Step 1: google "3ds max rose".

Step 2: realize that the typical 3ds max tutorial poster spends 2h picking out a techno song for his (!) tutorial and approximately 0s actually looking at a visual reference.

Step 3: look at visual reference.

Step 4: build a single petal base with simplest possible geometry.

Step 5: using C3d's awesome gadget tool (which I would have ignored were it not for Frank's amazing tutorials) build a series of petals.

This is a 1-sided mesh, so you might want to solidify it. Also, you can apply subdiv and crumple to give it a more organic feel (you could also fairly easily UV-map it since it's a very minimal geometry). The whole scene is <700 polygons.

P.S. to prevent the petal collisions the simplest option would be to collapse the symmetry of each petal, and tweak one edge slightly "left" (away from 0) and the other "right".

The final image is just the same thing with a bit of subdiv and crumple added.

Thanks, the step-by-step description made me laugh, my apologies Tonio for this rather flippant reinterpretation :), and thanks for posting the original file too. :cool:

Attachments

• Lilypad.jpg
    Lilypad.jpg
    413 KB · Views: 216
Many years ago, I remember trying to use Renderman. No GUI to speak of at that time.

Renderman was/is the "PostScript" of 3D — i.e. a language intended to be used between computer programs. PoVRay was intended to be more like the TeX of 3D (or Processing, if you've heard of that) — a language intended for artists, wrapped about a ray tracing engine.

The Povray movie makes me wonder how hard it would be for C3D to capture an artist's workflow and play it back as an animation (rendered or otherwise). That would be somewhere around 1.0E+6 on Martin's priority list ;-)

Last edited:
Here is a tutorial about making cherry blossoms in Blender. I know it's not a rose but there is some useful tips that can be applied to many flowers and to any 3d app.

Thanks chikiga, that looks like a good one. Although the author
talks to much at the beginning, I like the Aussie accent.

Back