Problem Smoothing

Problem Smoothing

Guys, quick question. I've imported a logo from a pdf, and extruded it, and I can't seem to get it smooth, it always has this stepped appearance.

example.jpg

I've attached the project if anyone would like to take a look *please* :)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4506668/Linked%20Downloads/Gear%20Addicts%20Logo%20Problem.jas

Thoughts?

Jason

Hi Jason and Welcome.
You´re close already. Try these settings at the Extrude-creators:

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• RoundBeveledExtrude.png
    RoundBeveledExtrude.png
    32.9 KB · Views: 226
Hi, you can also lower the approximation angle on the spline to give you a smoother shape (this one is also advice Frank gave to me a long time ago about splines). Just select the spline in the browser and you'll see the entry field in the palette. The default is 5, but I almost always lower mine to the minimum of 1.

From the user help manual:
approximation angle: Measure of the quality of the tessellated spline curve. The lower the angle the higher the quality of the tessellated spline curve.

Edit:
Ok, sorry didn't download your file first. Seems you already knew the approximation angle part. It may help someone else with the same problem though.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Hey guys, so I tried the settings, and they really didn't make any difference. I did some testing and it looks like the jaggies are coming from the HDRI, not the model. If you look at my model rendered with velvet, it looks like this:

velvet.jpg

But if I render it with silver, using entrance_hall_pano_small.hdr, it looks like this:

silver.jpg

So the jaggies you see are only on the sides, not the bevel, and they look really smeared. Thoughts?

Jason

and thank you!

Can you upload the PDF? I´m under the impression you have doubled paths (outline+fill) in your extrude creator. After making it editable and the "optimize-tool" all is smooth as you expected.
And don´t use "flat" as "Smooth:" property - leave it as default.

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• Optimize.gif
    Optimize.gif
    124.5 KB · Views: 192
  • DoubledGeometry.png
    DoubledGeometry.png
    90 KB · Views: 191
Back