CRASHING! But before I send a crash log...

CRASHING! But before I send a crash log...

I have tried loading multiple objects into a scene. As soon as I import my 6th or 7th .jas file, Cheetah crashes & quits.

Now, here's the reason I'm posting:

I am using VERY High resolution surface maps (4096 x 4096) but they are being saved as .PNG files which are all under 1MB. Each product (.jas object) has 3 (three) surface maps applied - so that is three 4096x4096 images on each object.

I am curious if the dimensions of the surface maps are what is causing the issues...? I don't want to go and create lower resolution files and assign them in each model and RE-TRY importing them if anyone feels that the resolution is NOT the issue. I figured since they are all under 1MB as a .PNG file, it might be fine... but I may be wrong.

Any guesses before I send-off a crash report to Martin...?

The size as a PNG file is irrelevant since they're going to be uncompressed bitmaps in memory. 4096x4096x32 bits = 64MB.

FYI - For those that care...

Apparently, it does not matter that I have 16GB of RAM in my machine... Even though Leopard (10.5) is 64-Bit and can address all that memory... it seems that Cheetah-3D (currently) is NOT 64-bit and can only address 4GB.

THAT is why I was running out of memory with my scenes.

Each model:
Four (4) unique UV surface maps; color, diffusion, bump & reflection. Each image 4096x4096 which equates to 64MB or memory for EACH image. That is 64MB x 4 = 256MB per OBJECT.

I looked at my activity monitor and when I had 5 models (each model with UNIQUE textures) in the scene... C3D showed it was using 2.3GB of physical RAM and about 1.5GB or Virtual Memory. Adding a couple more crashes it every time.

BUT... I also realize that while the 4096x4096 images help for SINGLE, High-Resolution, "print-ready" product renders... when I "pan-out" and fit more products in the scene, I can get away with swapping the image maps with lower-resolution files and still get great results. Which frees-up a LOT of memory overhead.

I just need to go create "alternate" resolutions of those files for multi-up product renders.

Thnx.

Just for example, here is the difference between the 2048px and the 4096px image maps when rendering high-Res print files:

Both are JPEGs with exact same compression.

Attachments

• test_2048_map.jpg
    test_2048_map.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 192
  • test_4096_map.jpg
    test_4096_map.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 187
Back