Projection painting?

Projection painting?

I've been taking the demo for a test drive as an alternative to Maya's 3d painting. I noticed that when I paint, there are noticeable seams at the UV borders. Does Cheetah have a projection painting function that eliminates this, or am I stuck with those seams?

Thanks,

Mark

I'm not exactly sure what you mean -- a lot will depend on the quality of your UV mapping... but I also doubt that C3D's painting tools, which are pretty basic, can rival Maya's, Cinema 4D's, or zBrush's.

I like C3D's texture paint tools, but they're not really a core feature.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean -- a lot will depend on the quality of your UV mapping...

Projection painting, is when you're actually painting on the model, so it ignores UV seams as long as the UVs don't overlap. Other than that, it has nothing to do with how well it's mapped. In C3D, when you paint directly on an object, and you cross a UV edge, you see the seam. That means it's not really painting on the model (projection painting).

but I also doubt that C3D's painting tools, which are pretty basic, can rival Maya's, Cinema 4D's, or zBrush's.
Actually, Maya's artisan tools are pretty basic - and really slow. I don't need all the features (or the price) of ZBrush, Bodypaint, or Modo. I just want something more responsive than Maya's built in tools. C3D *is* faster, but I suspect it's faster because you're really painting on the UV map.

I'm just trying to figure out if I've missed some setting that will allow me to projection paint.

/m

"Projection painting, is when you're actually painting on the model, so it ignores UV seams as long as the UVs don't overlap."

Indeed. It follows from this that if your UV mapping isn't seamless, you'll get seams.

Hi,
projection painting doesn't work yet. But I plan to add it since it is a really handy tool. But it might take some time since there are some tools with a higher priority which will be implemented first. Sorry.

So for the first please paint in the UV editor.

Bye,
Martin

Is projection painting still incomplete?

I was painting a texture on the 3d view, and when I hit an edge it would paint outward along the edge all the sudden. Painting directly on the texture 2d view works fine.

Anway, I know this feature is not that high priority, and the C3d is great software as it is.

Thanks for making this app (and being a Mac developer myself) I like that it is Mac only.

Right now I am working on a 3d game, using C3d to paint the textures (rough out the colors), and then finishing the details in photoshop.

I am also using blender and silo3d.

Back