uv mapping

uv mapping

Hello everybody

I'm trying to do the tutorial in the manual wit the uv mapping of the pig .
If i unwrap it i only get a half pig and i cant select the other part :frown:
My pig looks like the screenshot below .
From here it's difficult to follow the tutorial in a right manner .
Since i'm new to cheetah,and UV mapping,this is difficult for me .
With some playing around i got the pig ( i think by making it editable orso ) to show up completely on the uv editor but it had a huge amount of polygons ,so it was verry difficult to select the seames .
My question is ....can anybody upload the pig with lesser polygons like it is shown in the manual ???
I woul really like to learn about uv mapping because it is all verry new ( and difficult:confused: ) for me .

And if somebody knows a good tutorial about it ,please let me know ,i could use it a lot since i'm a real noob at 3d ( but liking it a lot ) :D
I've found a few good tutorials on the forum ,helped me a lot ,but at a certain point it gets a bit to complicated since it is al so new to me :redface:

Thanks a lot for any response ,

Kenneth

PS: keep up this nice attitude on the forum :icon_thumbup:

Attachments

• Afbeelding 1.png
    Afbeelding 1.png
    61.4 KB · Views: 303
Getting a good UV map is a toughy, full stop. Basically you're trying to flatten a complex 3D shape so it takes a while to do and there's always more than one way to do it. However, you're going down the right track. Make sure you pig is editable this will collapse the symetry modifier and join both halves of your pig. Now for the tough bit, seams. Seams are the cut lines that split open you complex 3D shape and try to lay it flat. Next you'll have to tell C3D to UV unwrap and basically start manipulating the polygons using seams and pinning until you're 100% happy. Then save the flatten mesh as a PDF and take that into your favourite paint package or use the built in paint tool within C3D.

Andrew

Hi Kenneth.
Don´t know where you get this file from, because the one I got from the examples folder look quite different.
Nevertheless here you go.
There is a symmetry modifier added to the half mesh. Find the mesh and make it "editable" via main menu-> objects, short cut (⌘+alt+c) or by double clicking the icon right next to the name of the base mesh.

Now you can add the seams and the use of the UV editor will make more sense.

With kindest regards
Frank

(xcuse, Andrew.)

Cooool

No Problemo :)

Andrew

Hi Kenneth.
Don´t know where you get this file from, because the one I got from the examples folder look quite different.
Nevertheless here you go.
There is a symmetry modifier added to the half mesh. Find the mesh and make it "editable" via main menu-> objects, short cut (⌘+alt+c) or by double clicking the icon right next to the name of the base mesh.

Now you can add the seams and the use of the UV editor will make more sense.

With kindest regards
Frank

(xcuse, Andrew.)

Thanks for the fast reply ,

I understand what i have to do to make the uv map but it is just complicated because the map i got didn't look the one in the tutorial and therefore difficult to follow the tutorial because i don't have any background in 3d .i'm one of those guys that follow a tutorial to the letter and if my screen doesn't look like the one in the tutorial im confused:redface: :redface:

The pig i'm using is the one from the HDRI file ,called pig.jas ,maybe i'm using the wrong file but this is the only one i can find :redface:
See Screen below

My pig has a lot of polygons and the one in the tutorial not ,so this makes it even more difficult for a beginner.

But i understand uv mapping isn't easy so i'm just gonna sinck my teeth in it and give it a go , ( will mean a lot trial and error )

Thanks a lot ,

Kenneth

Attachments

• Afbeelding 2.png
    Afbeelding 2.png
    59.8 KB · Views: 296
  • Afbeelding 4.png
    Afbeelding 4.png
    20 KB · Views: 300
Ok, now i got it .
Feel really stupid now ,the file was right under my nose and i didn't see it:redface: :redface: :redface:

The tutorial said " You can find the mesh of the Pig in the "Examples"
folder which comes with Cheetah3D." so i was looking for the pig file .

Now that you told me it seems verry logical to take the "UNWRAP" file for the "UNWRAP" tutorial :redface: :redface: :redface:

Sorry for wasting everybody's time an thank you all for taking good care of newbies :icon_thumbup:

Kenneth

Last edited:
Back