is there are way to get smooth curved edges on cubes

is there are way to get smooth curved edges on cubes

hi,
i'm a newbie going through the manual and playing with each control and wasn't sure where i could do the following:

i'm wanting to model a typical new york street and was wanting to know if and how to:

1. get curved edges to cubes (sidewalks, curbs etc) rather than sharp. kind of like a bevel but softer without the corners.

2. push and pull organically a surface to get a more imperfect level (roads and sidewalks)

i love the cheetah interface and ease of use, i was using ac3d but it was a little too basic and i needed a little more control over getting these finishing smoother details.

hoping cheetah and a clever person could help me.

thanks in advance

Hi and welcome.

There are a few possibilities. You may like to have a look into the attached file.
As for the Extrude solution you might think in larger scale, because the bevel radius is limited down to 0.01.

Have fun.

With kindest regards
Frank

Attachments

• UrbanTools.jpeg
    UrbanTools.jpeg
    22.8 KB · Views: 822
  • UrbanTools.jas.zip
    7.2 KB · Views: 398
wow. a big thank you.

frank,

that's so cool of you to do that.

i haven't even woke up yet but wanted to see if anyone replied.
i'm going to have a coffee and look at the files really good to see what you did.

i certainly can use those. was hoping you might be able, in your generosity, to elaborate on how you got the curves and the few possibilities you speak of.

and you mentioned the bevel was limited but wasn't sure exactly what you meant with regards to the extrude solution.

thank you again for taking the time. it really helps to have people who know what they're doing and who share that information.

i'm going to purchase cheetah 3d now!

best,
matt

on curves

also, i was going through the forum archive and saw that quite some time back it was noted that a curved bevel function was needed and there was talk of it going in version 3.x of cheetah.

was just wondering if i'm missing where that function is?

thanks.

Hi Matt.
The radius within the "Extrude creator" can´t scale any smaller than 0.01 - so you have to make your models/objects larger to receive a small bevel.

To generate splines you can use the "Create Spline" tool, or if you have at least one vector app (Intaglio; Inkscape, Freehand, Illustrator to name a few) you can make the drawing there and save it to either svg or pdf; both file formats Cheetah3d will load instantly.

A "Bevel&Chamfer" tool is still not implemented yet, sorry.

With kindest regards
Frank

Attachments

• RadiusLimit.jpeg
    RadiusLimit.jpeg
    50.7 KB · Views: 820
thanks again frank.

that clears things up. i think i just saw that the bevel curved tool was in the survey for the upcoming version 5.0

not sure if it made the cut but hoping it did.

but as you've demonstrated there's more than one way to skin a cat.

appreciated.
matt

frank,

i'm assuming all you did was create the bevel on a cube and then enlarge it to get it smoother?

These are front views of the Extrude examples.
If you are going to use kind of box modeling&Subdivision modifier you can set the amount of "bevel" by placing a ringcut near the surface as shown in the "Box Pavement" example.

One last solution could be by drawing one spline, make 2 copies and scale the upper one a tiny little bit.

With kindest regards
Frank

Attachments

• SmallBevelLoftjs.jpeg
    SmallBevelLoftjs.jpeg
    24.8 KB · Views: 810
thanks bill!
i've also just noticed a great script pack release by hairball600 which i will also download.

today i think is playday!

thanks again,
matt

Back