Massimo Mug Build

Massimo Mug Build

Due to a member request, I am doing a tutorial for the Massimo Vignelli mug.

To start, I'm making a series animated gifs since file size is restricted.

If the gif is to fast, open it with Preview and go frame by frame.

Attachments

• Mass-Mug-Build-Part-01.gif
    Mass-Mug-Build-Part-01.gif
    434.8 KB · Views: 782

Almost done! Part Eight is finished.

One, maybe two more for rendering.

Attachments

• Mass-Mug-Build-Part-08.gif
    Mass-Mug-Build-Part-08.gif
    394.1 KB · Views: 539

Part Nine and the final gif.

Attachments

• Mass-Mug-Build-Part-09.gif
    Mass-Mug-Build-Part-09.gif
    190 KB · Views: 500
  • Mass Mug Final.jpg
    Mass Mug Final.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 467
  • Mass Demitasse Final.jpg
    Mass Demitasse Final.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 465
Nice work on the tutorial - very thorough and well thought-out.
I imagine that took quite a bit of time to put together - so thanks for the sharing of your time and knowledge!

I personally prefer the video tutorials you've done, and I would think they may take less time?

thanks again.
--shift studio.

OK — off on a tangent that will no doubt make some of you hate me :)

The sad thing about the Massimo mug is that, upon reflection, it's a bad design. It doesn't look particularly comfortable to hold (I've held plastic picnic cups of similar, perhaps derivative, design and they suck), the "purity of design" whereby the way the handle meets the rim at the top (leading to Americans spilling their drinks) is rubbish since the same purity is MIA at the bottom. So it's a classic example of form over function — design at its worst — where even the form is compromised.

I grew up in a house with an expensive steel and leather butterfly chair and a very expensive chrome and leather Wassily chair — both of them uncomfortable and not durable — and perhaps consequently I have despised this kind of "clever" design all my life.

Like other faux industrial designs, the Wassily chair and the massimo mug are both designed to look industrially produced while not actually being functional and inexpensive.

Massimo is more justifiably famed as the designer of the New York subway map — his design is fine, but not even slightly original, since it's essentially the London Tube Map concept — from 1931 — applied to the NY Subway system.

I think it's important to differentiate great design — which satisfies aesthetic purposes AND functional purposes, ideally in some kind of mutually beneficial way (e.g. Unibody laptops, the original Mac design, and maybe even the new Mac Pro, which is a giant heatsink wrapped around a fan) with things that pretend to be functional minimalist designs but in fact are awful in one (or both) aspects upon examination (Neville Brody's early page layouts, e.g. for The Face, which looked great but were almost impossible to read, or say Falling Waters by Frank Lloyd Wright, which is beautiful but uninhabitable and almost unmaintainable).

Last edited:
Nice work on the tutorial - very thorough and well thought-out.
I imagine that took quite a bit of time to put together - so thanks for the sharing of your time and knowledge!

I personally prefer the video tutorials you've done, and I would think they may take less time?

thanks again.
--shift studio.

It's true, the videos are easier and faster to produce.
My mouse is screwing me up right now, I'm getting up to
four clicks at once and my scroll wheel just stopped working. :mad:
It's an expensive gaming mouse (I wanted lots of programmable
buttons), and I haven't found a replacement yet.
When I do I'll be back doing videos again.

I grew up in a house with an expensive steel and leather butterfly chair and a very expensive chrome and leather Wassily chair — both of them uncomfortable and not durable — and perhaps consequently I have despised this kind of "clever" design all my life.

Did your mom beat you up for messing with her expensive furniture? ;)

Although I have to agree, looks usually win in the end, and practicality
is second. Maybe that's why they end up in museums.

Maybe the fact that you grew up with these designs, and I've
seen them more in photographs make a major difference.

I hope I haven't dredged up any childhood trauma,
and I'm available If you want to talk it out. :smile:

Thanks for another great tutorial. Very thorough and easy to follow. On video vs a series of animated gifs, I think the gifs work equally as well. It's a nice way of breaking the tutorial down into easily digestable chunks of information. Each chunk can be referenced for other projects as well and they are easy to browse. I can see myself coming back to view these individual animations (mini tutorials) a number of times.

Back