Text with Wrap Modifier (on Cylinder)

Text with Wrap Modifier (on Cylinder)

A user was having problems with using this (as I did when I first started using it) so I've made a video tutorial showing how to use it and not have distorted text (mostly). I know there are a few other forum posts regarding this, but some people have an easier time seeing how to do it as they go along. I have to set up dimensional letters here at work that are displayed on curved surface somewhat often. So I had some practice learning how to make these. One caveat though is that in the real world most letters are cut out of flat material and then mounted to a curved wall using studs. So the letters themselves wouldn't actually be curved. This is a minor detail though as the radius curve is usually slight. The cylinder that was drawn is just for viewing purposes. You don't have to have it to use the Wrap Modifier. With longer lines of copy, the outside letters will be farther off from view and will not line up with the splines. As long as the extruded letters in the middle are close to the spline shape, there won't be much distortion in the letterforms.

I hope it helps! Please let me know if anyone else needs more clarification or notices something I missed.

Thanks,

Simon

https://vimeo.com/60656759

Last edited:
:-D :icon_thumbup:

Thank you so much Swizl for the tutorial on the Wrap Modifier!

Not only did I learn about wrapping the text around an object but it also was a good reminder of how to use snapping.

A great bonus for me is that you posted it is a .mov file in the other post that I can keep and refer to in the future. I do have a hard time remembering everything.

My Best Regards
Jeanny

:-D :icon_thumbup:

Thank you so much Swizl for the tutorial on the Wrap Modifier!

Not only did I learn about wrapping the text around an object but it also was a good reminder of how to use snapping.

A great bonus for me is that you posted it is a .mov file in the other post that I can keep and refer to in the future. I do have a hard time remembering everything.

My Best Regards
Jeanny

You're welcome! Glad it could help.

No sound

Is this video tutorial missing sound or have I just disabled it somehow? I find it difficult to keep up with the tutorial without sound.

Back