Rig

Rig

Hi guys,

Hopefully to help (I've seen many questions regarding rigging lately) and inspire others (would be nice to see some more character animations), I made a spline controlled character rig (attached). Bones can stay hidden, the pose tag can save all poses and recording could be done by enabeling the hierarchy (under record button) and recording (selecting after changes are made) the "locationcontroller"...

I also made a small video (see here) of it in action on a "blocky" character, I hope you'll like it :wink:

It was made as a reaction on this post...

Kind regards,
Filip

MORE ELABORATED FILES IN FOLLOWING POSTS!

Attachments

• blockman.zip
    97.9 KB · Views: 878
Last edited:
Hi guys,

Just for Illustrating, I added a morph tag, to show how expressions can be added...

SEE HERE

I also show in this video how the rig should be operated with the splines only.
  • When recording the morphs, make sure the blue "P" under the record button is enabeled and you allways select the morph tag before hitting record!
  • As said, allways enable the hierarchy (under record button) and select the "locationcontroller" before hitting record after posing! (poses you use a lot can be stored in the pose tag)...
  • If you want to let your character hold something in his hand, there is a folder in which you can put the object...
  • I also recommend to record a first frame with with "only key changed parameters" (under record button) off and from then on, turn it on...
  • When adapting or recreating this rig, it is extremely important to keep in mind how the manipulators of the bones (coord orientation or the red green blue axes) are oriented. The bone line or diamond isn't necessary parallel with their coord orientation. Certainly when creating new bones or dragging bonetips into place. I find it often a good idea to create a new bone parallel to an axis and rotate it in place. This way, you can pre-bend the knees and elbows to help the IK-solver bend correctly and avoid "snapping" the joints to their straight position...
  • When creating your own character (polygon mesh), try to use enough (not too much either) geometry and maintain a good polygon flow (do some research on this!). Use as much quadrupal polygons as possible (try to avoid n-gons and triangles), avoid "poles" where possible (points where more than 4 edges meet)...
  • In this case, I didn't start from a "T"-pose, but for more complex models, I suggest you do, to minimalise deformations at the shoulders...
  • eyes can be parented to the headbone and operated with a target tag, pointing to a target spline (best parented to the "location controller")...
  • When using this for exporting (Unity), mind that you didn't record bone positions, only controller positions...(in stead of recording the controllers, you should select and record all root bones and turn all controller tags off after recording everything)
  • If you want to make a realy advanced rig, Hiroto made a "F-curve linker" script. This allows you to create "drivers" (build controll panels and stuff: see here and here)
I hope you guys have fun with this, learn a lot from it and show your creations...
I'd love to hear your feedback (and if you use this, I hope you don't forget to mention me in the credits of your next oscar nominated animated shortfilm :wink: )

Kind regards,
Filip

Attachments

• blockman 2.zip
    118 KB · Views: 914
Last edited:
Thanks for the info filip. I haven't had a chance to play with much of the rigging, but when I do this will certainly come in very handy!

you're welcome :smile:

I also added an example with attributes and (rigidbody and softbody/cloth) physics with the character animation... I hope you guys'll like it :wink:
(please use your creativity and don't just use this figure in your projects... or pay me A LOT! :wink: I could really use it)

--->>> SEE ANIMATION HERE <<<---

Attachments

• blockman 3.zip
    237.4 KB · Views: 792
  • Schermafbeelding 2012-06-03 om 15.53.51.png
    Schermafbeelding 2012-06-03 om 15.53.51.png
    38.3 KB · Views: 1,563
Last edited:
Reactions: DEO
Filip — that little animation test is first rate. It's probably the single most polished snippet of animation I've seen done with C3D — you should polish it up a bit and submit it to Martin for the gallery, it really shows how polished a C3D animation can be.

Do you do contract work? (Drop me a line!)

Thanks!

I only saw it as a test (which got a bit out of hand :wink:), so I didn't bother to posish things up yet...
(maybe I will do that, For the moment I'm trying to test where Cheetah gets me, since I'm planning to do an animation project, with much nicer characters)

P.S.: If I can assist in any animation project, you may allways contact me :smile:

Thanks Martin!

I have one question...
It seems to be impossisbele to use an animated mesh (my character) as the colission mesh, ( the initial unanimated mesh seems to be calculated in the physics engine) or am I mistaking? I used collision boxes, parented to the bones to solve this...
Otherwise, the cape would have gone through the legs :wink: Can this be solved in the future or is this a limitation of the engine?

Cheers,
Filip

Last edited:
Thanks Martin!

I have one question...
It seems to be impossisbele to use an animated mesh (my character) as the colission mesh, ( the initial unanimated mesh seems to be calculated in the physics engine) or am I mistaking? I used collision boxes, parented to the bones to solve this...
Otherwise, the cape would have gone through the legs :wink: Can this be solved in the future or is this a limitation of the engine?

Cheers,
Filip

I did some experiments along the same lines while writing the book and I think the only solution right now is to tack on some kinematic box colliders (or whatever) to approximate the animated mesh.

Thanks Podperson, This will work for now...

I was wondering if anybody knew an easy way to "burn" all transformations (caused by using all the tags) to the bones, for exporting (FBX)... rather than doing things manually...

Thanks,
Filip

I also added an example with attributes and (rigidbody and softbody/cloth) physics with the character animation... I hope you guys'll like it :wink:
(please use your creativity and don't just use this figure in your projects... or pay me A LOT! :wink: I could really use it)

That look VERY much at a minecraft character! xD

(ik weet niet hoe ik dit in engels zeg "was dat ook de bedoeling?")

It was meant as an example for you (and at the same time others)

see first post, I referred to your toppic...

I'm already useing it before you :) (I have another character more 3D but its not finished yet...). I don't wanted to make my character availabel for everyone so I made up a little... speed character? :) so I'm sorry but I'm already useing it :)

I have one question...

Hi Filip,
yes, dynamic meshes aren't supported as colliders yet. But they are on my todo list. I plan to complete the physics features during the 6.x development cycle.

Bye
Martin

Back