iPhone5 Concept

iPhone5 Concept

The idea behind this concept is that Apple would split the iPhone5 line into two or three models — the top end version would be thicker to accommodate a micro four-thirds sensor and lens mount. Along with it, Apple would commission Carl Zeiss to make a ridiculously good, fast pancake prime lens with a built-in gorilla glass UV filter to keep it reasonably pocket- or purse-friendly.

I actually think this would be a really good idea for Apple. It would disrupt the digital camera industry the way that the iPhone itself disrupted the phone industry, and allow Apple to maintain margins on its high end phones (and grab a big slice of the most lucrative sector of the digital camera market).

Edit: tweaked the contacts on the reverse side of the lens.

Attachments

• iPhone5 pancake lens.jpeg
    iPhone5 pancake lens.jpeg
    58.6 KB · Views: 827
  • iPhone5 Sensor.jpeg
    iPhone5 Sensor.jpeg
    40.8 KB · Views: 822
  • iPhone5 lens and mount.jpg
    iPhone5 lens and mount.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 765
Last edited:
Looks nice, although I foresee one problem.

I imagine the small spots are connection points.
The way they are arranged now will make the lens fall off when you pick up the phone.

Looks nice, although I foresee one problem.

I imagine the small spots are connection points.
The way they are arranged now will make the lens fall off when you pick up the phone.

Good point. I positioned the lens contacts for the lens in open position :)

Looks well, I really like the muted render

Thanks — it's just the hall HDR with radiosity (tweaked a bit). I was going for naturalistic, and planning to blur it and add some noise to make it look more like a bad photo. Obviously I need to fix the lens first (and C3D 5.7b2 is giving me grief at the moment or it would be fixed already).

I was kind of vaguely inspired by this ancient render:

http://www.potomak.com/mind/gallery/leica.html

Another render of the same model was in ElectricImage's gallery way back when (the linked image is a 1993 render from ElectricImage, which gives you an idea of just how kickass their renderer is).

Forget iPhone 5, I'd just love to have a small point and shoot camera that looked this good and minimal.

Forget iPhone 5, I'd just love to have a small point and shoot camera that looked this good and minimal.

Yeah I hear you. Thing is, an iPhone with an M4/3 sensor would simply be ridiculously awesome. (I think it would not only kill the "EVIL" camera market but it would seriously dent the DSLR market since the camera in your pocket is a heckuva lot better than the camera sitting in your house because it weights 2lb.)

But I'd be deliriously happy with a 1/1.63" sensor camera with a fast zoom lens (like the Canon S95) built into my iPhone.

Back