Can Height Fields be output from 4.0

Can Height Fields be output from 4.0

I am and have been looking for a way in Cheetah (or any other way) to create height maps. I currently use Z-Brush but like Cheetah a lot better.

I need to record the distance from the camera in shades of gray with white being the closest and black recording no depth.

I can see someone far smarter than me setting up a scene and material combo that can do this.

Can anyone help...

I use these to create reliefs model from full 3d scenes.

Enclosed is a sample of what I am looking for.

Thanks
Lee Pruitt

Attachments

• Height1.jpg
    Height1.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 298
Hi Lee Pruitt.
I remember this quiet well. But I don´t think Cheetah3d support is natively on that.
I have a go with "Fog tag" and ambient light, don´t know wheter that´s precise enough. Sorry.

With kindest regards
Frank

Attachments

• HighfieldDog.jpg
    HighfieldDog.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 294
Hey,
Frank how did you do that translutent material. What were your settings? Was it just the fog tag?
Looks cool.

Thanks,
Greg

Huh. Just boiling water:

Hi.
Black fog and ambient light with intensity of 15. The dog appears very dark grey so you have to deal between "Camera view" and "Field of view".
Material of simple 50%grey no specularity. 600x600pix about 9 sec.
That´s it.

Regards
Frank

BTW: funny special effect: there´re no color ingredients, but the dogs appears greenish.

Hi,
Thanks for the info. What are Heght Fields used for? Why would you need them.

Thanks,
Greg

Last edited:
Ok. Good so far.
And just for completing this thread:
Go render preferences, enable epix cache. Render your scene and save as "xyz.epx" and tell Apple´s Preview.app to open such a file.

With kindest regards
Frank

Hi,
how did you open a .epx file in preview? It doesn't work on my Mac.:frown: I first had to rename the .epx file to .tiff.

As a short side note. .epx is nothing else than a .tiff file with some custom data and a 32bit depth layer.

Bye,
Martin

Hi Martin.
Rightclick on the file go "other app", activate list "every app", find preview and tell.

With kindest regards
Frank

Last edited:
Back