Shadows missing

Shadows missing

Hi,

Sorry for all the posts I'll get it quick. :tongue:

I added texture maps to my sidewalk and road in an Architectural model they are loaded into the "color" and "bump map" slots of my materials. Prior to adding the texture I had really nice shadows and now they are gone for the most part. What causes that?

Thanks!

Hi,
could you post images or an example scene? Normally textures shouldn't have a influence on shadows.

Bye,
Martin

Material attributes will obviously effect affect how the shadows that are cast on them look, but they shouldn't disappear.

We'll need a before and after pic! :)

Last edited:
Image 1 has no jpeg in the color and bump map slots, image 2 does. Oddly if I make two new material balls and put the jpeg in those then add the tags to my original sidewalk and road materials I see shadows.

Attachments

• Build_1_test.jpg
    Build_1_test.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 276
  • noshadow.jpg
    noshadow.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 255
Hi.
I can´t reproduce this, no chance. This must be a very strange jpg. Is it showing up normally in the material browseron the sphere? Can you post a scene maybe with just a box and a plane and the material?
Regards
Frank

Hi.
I can´t reproduce this, no chance. This must be a very strange jpg. Is it showing up normally in the material browseron the sphere? Can you post a scene maybe with just a box and a plane and the material?
Regards
Frank

Frank:

I just did a test, I made a cube and applied the jpeg material to it then made an object and a light to cast a shadow onto the cube - all worked perfect.

I'm going to take off all materials on my sidewalk and road and make brand new materials to see if that works.

Thanks!

Hi,
did you use a normal map (violet blueisch) or a relief/height map (grey scale) as a bump map? Cheetah3D works with highmaps. Normal maps possibly could cause such a behavior.

Bye,
Martin

Hi,
did you use a normal map (violet blueisch) or a relief/height map (grey scale) as a bump map? Cheetah3D works with highmaps. Normal maps possibly could cause such a behavior.

Bye,
Martin

The same jpeg, it's a picture of concrete, is in both the "color" and "bump map" "texture" slots.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Okay - sorted. Took the jpeg out of the bump map texture slot and voila. Do jpegs work in the bump map texture load box? Do I need a special bump map texture file?

Thanks.

Hi.
If you don´t mind, send me the jpg. I would like to have a look at it.
I used to use jpgs as bumpmaps often, never failed yet.

With kindest regards
Frank

Hi all,
That looks nice. I just take the texture that I use and than make it B&W in iPhoto, make that the bump map and it looks fine. I was just wondering if you would post the HDRI you used there.

Thanks,
Greg

Hi all,
That looks nice. I just take the texture that I use and than make it B&W in iPhoto, make that the bump map and it looks fine. I was just wondering if you would post the HDRI you used there.

Thanks,
Greg

Thanks Greg! Frank, I need your email address - you can pm me, I'll check back later...gotta run now.

What's the HDRI? :p I just have two lights and a camera - the sky is a background and I'm using Radiosity. Here is the latest pass, low rez jpeg.

Attachments

• Test-1d-textured.jpg
    Test-1d-textured.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 236
Hi,
The HDRI is a very high resilution background. HDRI stands for High Dynamic Range Image.
I'll send you a PM. You could just zip it and post the file, you know.

Thanks,
Greg

Hi,
I just got your PM. Thanks for the link. You know that a regular jpg set as texture on a plane in not the same thing as an HDRI. With a real hdri your can use it as the lighting with no lights at all. You just have to set the Radosity high. If you want more info you should google HDRI.

Again, thanks for the link,
Greg

Hmmm - well everyone says that a jpeg in the bump map "texture" slot should work...not. I made my jpeg into a B&W and it still doesn't work, the shadows are missing. I really wish this worked. Any other thought's? Martin?

Thanks.

Hi,
I don't know if this would have any thing to do with it but you might try opening your jpg in Preview and exporting it as a .tiff. Maybe that will help, I guess it's worth a try.

Greg

Speaking from total ignorance here, you might have better luck if you converted the bumpmap to greyscale -- if normal maps cause issues then a color bumpmap might cause similar issues.

Hmmm - well everyone says that a jpeg in the bump map "texture" slot should work...not. I made my jpeg into a B&W and it still doesn't work, the shadows are missing. I really wish this worked. Any other thought's? Martin?

If it still fails just .zip all your files and send them to me via email. Then I will have a look into your scene. I have to know all material properties and settings to say more.

Bye,
Martin

Back