french localization ?

french localization ?

I'm considering translating Cheetah in french, for I know some people using it without any english skills. Is there anybody already doing this ?

Hi,
thanks that you want to help me out a little bit. :D

But localizing the app has a quite negative side effect. The english documentation and the tutorials become more difficult to understand. Because the parameter names in the app and the documenation differ.

Cheetah3D currently offers a german UI and I already got some requests to either drop the german UI or to translate the hole documentation in german. And I have to admit that the mixture of a german UI and the english documetation can be quite confusing. That's why I already considered dropping the german UI support. Because I just don't have the time to maintain a german and an english documentation.

The same problem would probably arise with a french localization.

By,
Martin

That's right. I became aware of this problem while beginning the translation. I think translating the documentation but keeping english terms would be more useful, wouldn't it ? But it seems an awful lot of work...

Hi,
that's right. Translating the documentation would be really a lot of work. The documentation in general is one of my biggest problem because maintaining it is a lot of work.

The other problem with a localized documentation would be that I update the documentation with almost every update. So it would be also a lot of work to keep the localized documentation up to date.

This would be easier for a app which only releases one feature update every two years. Localization is probably one of the reasons why the big software companies only release very few feature updates.

By,
Martin

Back