Reflective maps

Reflective maps

This is a great feature!!!! Thanks Martin!! One problem though. If I turn reflective to 1.0, everything is black except for the reflective parts. My reflective map has white areas where it reflects and black areas where not. Does this mean that the black areas absorb all light? In this picture I tried a lower value. I also noticed that my ball shape isn't smooth as it should be. Any help?

Attachments

• 01_163.jpg
    01_163.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 1,638
And here's the 'wrong' one with a reflective strenght of 1.0

Regards,
Peter

Attachments

• 02_112.jpg
    02_112.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 1,563
Hi peer,
your movie looks great. The reflectivity maps have more potential than I thought.

But sorry I don't know what is going on with the problems you mentioned. Could you mail me a small example scene with which I can play arround? I'm sure that would help me.

By,
Martin

peer said:
I've tweaked some settings and look at this, I think it looks very nice (for a test render that is :wink: ).

www.biasarch.nl/3d/Wet.mov

It's in the new H.264 codec. So I'm sorry windows users...

Regards,
Peter

Peer,

Very cool. What are you planning on doing with reflective maps? How are they used?

Jake

These maps control the amount of reflection of a map. For instance, if I have a plaza floor with 2 types of pavement, a polished marble and plain concrete, I can make one map with both materials in one, including bump and reflection. The white areas of the reflection map, reflect and the dark areas don't. Check the examples at www.arroway.de . You can see the effect here. You can now with one simple plane and one material create a plaza with puddles that reflect the surroundings. I'll send you the cheetah file of this movie example if you like?

peer said:
These maps control the amount of reflection of a map. For instance, if I have a plaza floor with 2 types of pavement, a polished marble and plain concrete, I can make one map with both materials in one, including bump and reflection. The white areas of the reflection map, reflect and the dark areas don't. Check the examples at www.arroway.de . You can see the effect here. You can now with one simple plane and one material create a plaza with puddles that reflect the surroundings. I'll send you the cheetah file of this movie example if you like?

See, you learn something everyday. Thanks Peer. If you would like to send the file I could see how you apply the settings. This could be a pretty helpful setting.

Peer... if you don't mind throwing the file this way as well it would be much appreciated... I can see great potential in these maps... once I get my head around everything else in C3d... :D

cheers
Trevor

Back