dxf import

dxf import

I cannot seem to import .dxf files made in either Vectorworks or Strata - can anybody advise. I think Cheetah looks great but it's
no use to me if I can't import .dxf. Please help becuase I really want to junk strata.

Hi,
the dxf importer of Cheetah3D is quite limited. It just imports the 3DFACE primitives and layers. It doesn't read lines, curves and other stuff yet.
Does your other modeler allow to export to a DXF file which just contains 3DFACE primitives?

Sorry that I couldn't help more.

By,
Martin

Cheers Martin,

Simple answer is I don't know anything about "3DFACE". VWorks allows text and binary .dxf export and it can triangulate 3d objects to allow for better export to some programs. Strata doesn't give any options at all.

BTW I noticed somewhere else in the forum that someone seemed to think Strata allowed export to .obj or 3ds but this is not the case (at least with most recent versions).

Import from Vectorworks

I somehow managed to import a 3D dxf from vectorworks with no trouble. It was a file, that I created a year ago for a different purpose. I had grouped all objects into symbols - and they came through in Cheetah with correct names. The only objct, that was altered, was an object, that I forgot to turn into a symbol - it showed up in a wrong position. I remember saving to a previous version of dxf - probably version 10 or 12, because the reciever could not read newer versions. When I know more, I will post again.

Regards

Kaare Baekgaard

fhatman said:
Cheers Martin,

Simple answer is I don't know anything about "3DFACE". VWorks allows text and binary .dxf export and it can triangulate 3d objects to allow for better export to some programs. Strata doesn't give any options at all.

BTW I noticed somewhere else in the forum that someone seemed to think Strata allowed export to .obj or 3ds but this is not the case (at least with most recent versions).

Hi,
sorry for the late reply. The DXF export should be Text or ASCII. And the objects should be triangulated. I haven't tried it myself so I hope it works.

By,
Martin

I've ried every combination of converting 3d shapes prior to export with every combination of export options in both vectorworks 9.5 and 11 but nothing appears in Cheetah.

I know the dxf export is ok 'cos it opens up in another 3d package.

Any further suggestions gratefully axccepted.

A

These are my settings, and it then imports fine (well accept curves etc.) But there's something importing. The vectorworks 11 drawing is made up of extrusions and solids. Make sure you're in top view.
Hope this helps.
Screen.png

Regards,
Peter

Thanks very much for the suggestions but I've tried every combination of buttons and checkboxes possible from the VW .dxf export dialogue box and it simply produces no result for me. As I say, I know the .dxf file is functioning as it opens up in other programs.

I'm running OSX10.3.8, Vectorworks 9.5.3 (and 11.0) and Cheetah Demo (could demo have anything to do with it?).

Hi,
thats very strange. The demo is just limited in it's export possibilities. Import works like in the registered version.

As Peer already said it should work theoretically. Do you use Cheetah3D 2.2b3 ?

If it still fails could you generate a file as discribed by peer and send it to me via email.

Sorry for the problems.

By,
Martin

I had been using a 2.1 demo and have now upgraded to 2.2b3. Everything appears to be functioning now.

BTW From Vectorworks if you are using "walls" you need to convert them to a mesh prior to export. Define different shapes as classes and these will import into Cheetah as named shapes.

I am not able to get "symbols" as named shapes as someone reported previously.

I will continue to play with this and if I find anything else of importance I'll post it.

Thanks all.

fhatman, make sure you are in top view not top/plan view (hit the 5-key on your numeric pad). This should work. Also symbols inserted in the wall will be exported.

Hi,
good to hear that it works.

Version 2.1 had a bug in the dxf loader which was fixed during the 2.2 beta cycle. So it is no surprise that it didn't work under 2.1.

By,
Martin

Back