Creature

Wasn't it difficult to model it if the computer has got so much trouble with it?
By the way: In my opinion 6 hours is incredible fast for a model like that.

hi,
the answer is yes, it took a lot of time near the end. to make it easier i started modeling the body in a seperate file then imported the head and fit it to the body afterwards. that last step took almost half an hour just because it was going so slow.

Interesting. I tried to do the same thing with a tower I started to built. It is made of 125,280 bricks, every brick has 18 polygons in the most simplyfied version. First I tried to use very smooth bricks of 3604 polygons, later I simplyfied them (then they still had about 500, later 180 polygons). After calculating the number of polygons the whole model would have I decided to keep the bricks as simple as possible. In my opinion they are a little too simple, but my computer (a 1,25 GHz eMac) had a different opinion. It told me that 2,255,040 polygons are still much too much, so I gave it up for the first time. Probably I should buy a G5 Quad and use Cheetah 4.0, but I'm still using 2.5 because 3.x needs Mac OS 10.4. However, I used the same kind of trick (work in more than one document) to build the staircase of my tower (this was much easier).

Well the normal way is to use textures and bump-maps instead of modelling small details.

True, but like i said earlier, it's practice.(and i wanted my model to be physically shaped that way. bump maps only do so much.)

Last edited:
i tried to do the full body shot today but again, it didn't work.
as for the animation now, it will probably only be the head, its just too slow.....

hi,
there has been a lot of talk about images for 3d glasses so i thought i'd try it out with this.

Attachments

• creature anaglyph.jpg
    creature anaglyph.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 437
Last edited:
True, but like i said earlier, it's practice.(and i wanted my model to be physically shaped that way. bump maps only do so much.)

May I suggest a work-flow using something like Zbrush if you are going to do details on the level that requires multi-million (or even multi-hundred thousand) polygons? That is, use Cheetah3D to make a (relatively) low-res model that has all the major shapes/parts. Then import into Zbrush and res it up to the multi-hundred-thousand/million polygons required for the final details and do the details there. When done, export the hi-res model as a displacement (not bump) map to use with the lo-res model and render it. You'll have less polygons to deal with at render time.

May I suggest a work-flow using something like Zbrush if you are going to do details on the level that requires multi-million (or even multi-hundred thousand) polygons? That is, use Cheetah3D to make a (relatively) low-res model that has all the major shapes/parts. Then import into Zbrush and res it up to the multi-hundred-thousand/million polygons required for the final details and do the details there. When done, export the hi-res model as a displacement (not bump) map to use with the lo-res model and render it. You'll have less polygons to deal with at render time.

that's what i would do, but i can't afford zbrush or mudbox. i'm only 14 and i don't have a job.

Hm, someone here said that its better to use bumpmaps and textures than model small details. Its not always true. I´m sure, that some of you have heard about Unreal 3 game engine. Modeling artists, who create character modelsfor this, they always model all small details. Fully detailed characters have 2 000 000(yeah, 2000k) triangles. Altrough, these models are made to create light maps and textures for 5k models that are used in the game. In my opinion, this guy here has done awsome job. :icon_thumbup: Good luck! Hope to see some more greate models from you!;)

You can map displacement maps using the uv editor in C3D just as long as your mesh has enough polygons. I love the character and can't wait to see more.

Andrew

Hm, someone here said that its better to use bumpmaps and textures than model small details. Its not always true. I´m sure, that some of you have heard about Unreal 3 game engine. Modeling artists, who create character modelsfor this, they always model all small details. Fully detailed characters have 2 000 000(yeah, 2000k) triangles. Altrough, these models are made to create light maps and textures for 5k models that are used in the game. In my opinion, this guy here has done awsome job. :icon_thumbup: Good luck! Hope to see some more greate models from you!;)

Displacement maps, not bump maps. There's some difference between the two. If you are referring to my comment, no, I didn't say using maps and textures are "better" than modelling the details. I was suggesting one can achieve (at rendering time) the results of a higher poly count model with a lower poly count model by using displacement maps. The displacement maps (in this case) are generated from a higher poly model (with enough polys to model the details) sculped/modelled/fine-tuned in Zbrush. The high poly model is generated/sub-divided from a lower poly model created in C3D. Your example is exactly the same as my example.

EDIT: I agree with you he has done an awsome job.

that's what i would do, but i can't afford zbrush or mudbox. i'm only 14 and i don't have a job.

I was going to suggest trying the 30-day trials, find one you like, and save like crazy. Welcome to the adult world. :)

- choose wisely -

I was going to suggest trying the 30-day trials, find one you like, and save like crazy. Welcome to the adult world. :)

- choose wisely -

hi,
I've already done the zbrush trial (I don't like it very much. but i'll have to give version 3 a try) and the mudbox trial (I like it, but its only for windows right now). If you know of any other relatively cheap apps like them please tell me.

Also while I understand you're trying to help, the point of this project was to see what I could do without displacement maps or sculpting programs; as i've said before.

adam

If you know of any other relatively cheap apps like them please tell me.

Have you looked to see if they do student priceing? It's often a lot cheaper than a normal comercial licence.

Or you might also like to try:

Blender. The displacement painting is said to be as good as Zbrush, but in true 3d.

Silo 2. You're not going to be able to paint in every pore like Zbrush/Mudbox, but it does "mid poly" displacement very well.

The next version of Modo. I think they do a student version. I don't know how much.

ZBrush 3.x is finally out for Mac too. Its UI seems much improved over 2.x (actually it seems nicer than Mudbox now -- based on screenshots).

3DCoat is about to go to version 3 and looks very interesting too.

Last edited:
Back