fuzzy texture (procedural)

fuzzy texture (procedural)

Can anyone point me in the right direction to make a procedural texture that looks like fuzzy, like ... tennis ball, or tip of cotton swab, or ends of pieces of yarn, or fuzzy housecoat - yeah, a fuzzy housecoat?

Thanks in advance.
--Shift Studio.

Not sure of many fabric type textures in Cheetah. Have you looked through the pig thread? Archie has some pretty good ones. I actually made a whole folder just for his materials. podperson knows the material system really well. If anyone knows to what extent that type of material is possible in C3d, it would most likely be him. Sorry wish I could help more. Good luck!

Hi Swizl,

I've looked through the whole pig thread in the past, and several pages recently while looking for 'fuzzy'.

Thanks for your response. Hopefully someone will have some ideas -Podperson?

--shift studio.

I'd say you are going to find it nearly impossible to replicate a fuzzy surface like a tennis ball in C3D. One option is to replicate a object utilizing a mesh particle setup (with a plane as the particle) and then mapping a gradient and noise into the transparency and diffuse channels of that mesh. Then using some nifty post-process blurring to tweak it visually. But the results will be lacking compared to a package with actual fur. The attached image was a test for a project, I believe it was rendered in either Blender or Carrara using their built in fur.

You could also trying some tricky texture mapping using one of the good, but limited hair/fur polygon generating scripts that you can find on the forums.

Attachments

• tennisball2.png
    tennisball2.png
    140.5 KB · Views: 367
Here is a poor attempt. Its late, but at least it will demonstrate the base idea. Ideally, I'd say blend a gradient from black to white along the height of the cone to fade the tip, then the noise to break-up the transparency and make things "fuzzish".

Attachments

• tennisball.zip
    16 KB · Views: 216
Thanks for the answers and ideas!

I can see the concepts, and can see how it could work - not exactly ideal - but workable nonetheless.

If there are any more ideas out there, I'd be glad to hear.

thanks,
--Shift Studio.

You'll have to play around with the settings of particle mesh and maybe adjust the hair but you get the general idea. :wink:

Cheers

Terry

Attachments

• fuzzball.jpg
    fuzzball.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 333
  • FuzzBall.jas.zip
    33.4 KB · Views: 213
thanks to you too Terry for the sample.

I ended up with my objects not really being fuzzy in the end :redface:

--Shift Studio.

Back