Movie with Photoshop HDRI

Movie with Photoshop HDRI

Finally, here is a test made using an HDRi that I converted from one of my old VR's. I popped it into Cubic Converter and converted to an equirectangular tiff, then took that to Photoshop CS2 and made a HDRI. Worked pretty good. Could be up to our necks in HDRI images in a couple months.

It will take a little trial an error to get the range of values between shadow and hightlight correct, but it's a start.

http://www.designorg.com/cheetah3D/broadHighH264.mov

ps. This movie was compressed with Apple's new H.264 compression. Let me know if it doesn't work and I'll repost with a different compression.

Nice!

Jake,

Really cool :D Love the HDR pic - where is that?
The video was very jerky for me but that's probably my 600mhz G3...

Re: Nice!

ThomasH said:
Jake,

Really cool :D Love the HDR pic - where is that?
The video was very jerky for me but that's probably my 600mhz G3...

That was at a friend's house. He is an architect and has designed small very unique homes for each of his family members too. Makes almost everything including the table and stools seen in the HDRI.

I'll post another version that with a different compression. Are you using Quicktime 7?

Me too. He's getting married in a couple weeks. Should be a big time- live jazz, catered by the best restaurant in town and it's out in the family compound a farm about two miles outside of town. Interesting family. I'll sneek the VR of the space onto the forum when I get back from lunch.

Jake, that's awesome!! So you figured out how to make your own HDRI, very cool. Maybe a short tutorial? :D

peer said:
Jake, that's awesome!! So you figured out how to make your own HDRI, very cool. Maybe a short tutorial? :D

Yea. I'm working on a couple different ways. I was hoping the gazing ball would work better, so everybody could try it. The best way so far is converting my old QTVR's. I have a couple things I still want to try, then I will make a tutorial for everyone.

Regardless of the techniques you will still need the new Photoshop.

I have some old VR's that I'll convert. I post a zip file with some of them so everybody can try it.

Hi Jake,
wow you made a really great looking HDRI. It looks very high quality. I can't await the tutorial. :D

Mabe I should really consider buying the new Photoshop. I'm still using Photoshop Elements 1.0. :cry:

By,
Martin

Thanks Martin,

I think it could be a lot better. I have one more thing to try and then I will post a tutorial. The new Photoshop automates the process, but they tend to get a little contrasty. I'm going to one by hand and see how it turns out. That way I can contol the process a little better.

As it turns out you really don't need to use the automated process. Photoshop allows conversion to 32-bit with out it, so anyone can do it! Buy it and put Elements back in the drawer.

Here's a render of a lamp I modeled. Using the HDRI for lighting I also tried to line it up with the HDRI. Not too bad.

Attachments

• lamp_129.jpg
    lamp_129.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 2,066
Jake, you're getting your masters degree for creating such beautiful pictures!! There great, it's time to buy a gazing ball!

Regards,
Peter

peer said:
Jake, you're getting your masters degree for creating such beautiful pictures!! There great, it's time to buy a gazing ball!

Regards,
Peter

Well Thanks Peter. I put my gazing ball back in the garden for a while. Couldn't produce a good HDRI. I've been using my old QTVR's. I posted the one I used for this image It's in the previous post. It's there to use if you want to to download it. Have at it.

I think I have enough to put together a tutorial showing how to use VR's. I'll get started.

Jake

Hi Jeff,
this image looks really photorealistic :D Wow.

I'm just curious how you made a HDRI from a QTVR. I think you need images with different exposure to recreate a HDRI. Do you have the QTVR's with different exposures?

By,
Martin

Martin said:
Hi Jeff,
this image looks really photorealistic :D Wow.

I'm just curious how you made a HDRI from a QTVR. I think you need images with different exposure to recreate a HDRI. Do you have the QTVR's with different exposures?

By,
Martin

Well that will be part of my tutorial I guess. I really should have a better range of exposures, but what I did was make three files from the same .tif using the levels. I would balance one for highlights (faking it), balance one the shadows( faking it) and one good exposure. I find the Photoshop HDR function tends to make the files contrasty so I use the old tried and true techniques of putting all three exposure in one Photoshop file, but different layers. I do this when I use my digital for interior shots so the light fixtures don't burn out in the final image. In that case I use different exposures. I already have to shot nearly 28 shots for one high-rez VR now. I don't really want to bracket 28 shots!. Yikes!

You then use the erase tool with a really fuzzy edge and a very light setting to erase the parts of the images that are to bright or too dark. That way you end up with a better range of values with the burned out highlights or black shadows. then you flatten the image. save an unflattened version for any tweaking later.

After that it's easy. make any modifications you want. Convert to 16-bit then convert to 32-bit and save as a Photoshop Radiance file (HDRI). Really pretty easy. It's not as nice as if you bracketed actual exposures, but "Any Port in a Storm" I say.

I've been shooting QTVR's for 12 years. Almost all are at high-rez for full screen use, so I can convert these easily by just dropping the VR's onto Cubic Converter and converting them to an equirectangular image. You do the rest in the NEW Photoshop. The older versions do not support 32-bit.

Back