MacBook Touch

It's an old story that predates the iPad launch last year. So (1) no, it's not real, (2) it was probably based on someone misunderstanding rumors of the iPad or simply making stuff up.

Is Apple making a Macbook Touch? Yes, it's called the Macbook Air, and it's wonderful. I suspect the next generation of Macbook Airs will include a 15" model, and perhaps the entire Pro line will become Air-like in short order. I'd like my next MBP to not have an optical drive.

Apple has stopped referring to "Mac OS X" now is referring to "OS X" — make of that what you will. I suspect that Apple will, at some point, turn OS X into a virtual runtime under iOS and possibly vice versa, but this will probably wait for Intel to catch up to ARM in the computer horsepower per watt stakes (otherwise either iOS or OS X will be running under emulation OR everyone is going to have to start building fat binaries again).

Right now, it looks like Intel will be competitive with ARM for mobile in 2-3 years, which would be a good time for Apple to reunite the platforms.

Apple could, I suppose, stick both ARM and Intel CPUs in its "Macbook Touch".

Back