Drilling holes

Drilling holes

Hi,

i'm playing around with some things that showed up the following problem:

I've made some cylinders with the Ring modifier. Now i'ld like to cut out these cylinders of a cube - this does not work (i'm using a lot of folders for the different objects and modifiers).

Is this aproach of "drilling holes" totally wrong, or did i make a mistake somewhere?

Regards,
Dieter

Attachments

• Bild 2.png
    Bild 2.png
    16.4 KB · Views: 444
  • Bild 3.png
    Bild 3.png
    28.6 KB · Views: 434
Hi,
the reason why it didn't work was because you tried to subtract a folder. But the boolean object only accepts polygon objects. So you first have to merge ("import Children" tool) your objects to one polygon object and then subtract it with the boolean object.

Bye,
Martin

Hi,
So you first have to merge ("import Children" tool) your objects to one polygon object and then subtract it with the boolean object.

Since this is to me the best approach to solve the problem i gave it a try, but it didn't work :-( (see graphics)

Franks solution to use a graphic created with an external vector program is very nice, but if you want to change the shape, you have to draw a new version and import it again. For me this would be the last option to solve my problem.

Are there any other useful options?

Regards,
Dieter

Attachments

• Bild 1.png
    Bild 1.png
    36.7 KB · Views: 401
  • Bild 2.png
    Bild 2.png
    18.2 KB · Views: 389
Hi,
the Boolean object works on two polygon objects A and B. But not on the child objects of object B. So you have to combine all the cylinders in your scene to one single polygon object B.

Bye,
Martin

Hi Dieter.

Here´s a workaround for your thrilling drilling thing. You can arrange all of your circles in top view. Not funny but practical. Now throw every additional splines into "spline1". Go menu "Tools->import Children". Now you can delete every additional spline except "Spline1". Now you have one spline object for your purpose. Have fun. The fine thing is: you can edit every part of your splines and the boolean thing will work anyway. BTW; even if they´re imported. You can drag the handles here and there to a new shape. Have a try.

With kindest regards
Frank

Attachments

• DrillingToNuts.jpeg
    DrillingToNuts.jpeg
    98.9 KB · Views: 441
I'm still trying to get those holes... So far, i learned that i can combine the ring modifier with an polygon object - but together they can't be used with a boolean operation. I learned about the merging feature (import children) to convert many objects to one single object. But until now, i havn't any clue, how you arranged those circles (i've tried different things "chain" and "ring" won't work, because the only have an effect on polygon objects).

Please enlighten me, so i can finally finish the "Abtropfblech"...;-)

Regards,
Dieter

Hi Dieter..
what is wrong with my suggestion? The circles I used in the example above were Cheetah3d made - not imported paths.
How many holes you want to drill?

Or send me an PM and you can ring me up.
With kindest regards
Frank from Hamburg

Won´t give up.

Hi Dieter

Ok ok it´s a spiral not a circle but I like it. Maybe try a star or a flower or......

With kindest regards
Frank

Attachments

• HolesOnSpiral.jpg
    HolesOnSpiral.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 358
Finally - I GOT IT...:)

Frank,

thanks a lot for your support. Finally i managed to drill the holes. I (hopefully :)) learned a lot about polygonobjects...

Here's a first (very basic) result.

BTW: Polygoncount is (as you stated) massive...

Regards,
Dieter

Attachments

• Render1.jpg
    Render1.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 339
Back