New Mac pro and cons...

New Mac pro and cons...

Dear All

While I'm sure that the new mac pro's will scream with Martins Software, a note of caution on general speed advanages on other popular mac software, that has made the Applemac the creative choice for Artists....

On a lot of other apps like Adobe CS the speed advantage on the 2.66 Mac pro was nearly twice as slow as the Power Mac G5 Dual/2.7GHz single-core G5 x2

see:

http://www.macworld.com/2006/08/firstlooks/macprobench/index.php

I'm not saying that it's not a great piece of kit...but maybe waiting for a lot of other core apps to go native and perhaps a suprise 'dual quad processor' the sort of stunt that Apple could pull at Xmas, but not be a bad move !?

Regards

Luke

Hi Luke,
is that really a Con for the Mac Pro. It is more a con for Adobe. The Intel Transition Kits are available since more than a year. Adobe also has serious developer resources. And I'm also sure they knew about the transition much before most of the other developers. Theoretically there should have been more than enough time to make PS universal.:(
I think it is more a business than a technical problem. They just want to wait for the next commercial update.

In the performance chart you can also see that a quad G5 takes 45sec while a dual G5 takes 48sec. That looks like PS doesn't take to much profit out of more than two CPUs.

But I'm also quite optimistic that the Universal software situation will improve very fast. And even with non universal software the Mac Pro should be a dam fast machine.:D

Bye,
Martin

Martin said:
Hi Luke,
In the performance chart you can also see that a quad G5 takes 45sec while a dual G5 takes 48sec. That looks like PS doesn't take to much profit out of more than two CPUs.

Dear Martin

I agree with you re PS being more of a business than a technical problem

And the above spec you highlighted, which is why I think I will wait a bit like I did when os9 and osx where on one Mac which caused a lot a problems for people in the transition.

Once it was all osx then upgrading made sense, which is kind of the lodgic I'm going to use for upgrading to the Mac Pro later on

Regards

Luke

Attachments

• macpro_baby.jpg
    macpro_baby.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 568
Francois said:
8 dual core processors in such a small beautiful enclosure ? It's unbelievable what Apple can do these days ... :cool:

Dear Francois

I was thinking of it as a mac mini for more desktop...he he

A bit like the classic Mac cube.

Although I have read that Apple will be bringing out an 8 processor mac next year...

Regards

Luke

Attachments

• mini.jpg
    mini.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 544
Do you think you could offer up a short tutorial on how you made those, for us trying to learn C3d?:cool:
They look extremely cool?

robmkeith said:
Do you think you could offer up a short tutorial on how you made those, for us trying to learn C3d?:cool:
They look extremely cool?

Dear robmkeith

I'll have a go for you but it won't be overnight as I have to break down what I have down into sections

Regards

Luke

PS Thanks for the vote

Martin said:
Hi Luke,
is that really a Con for the Mac Pro. It is more a con for Adobe. The Intel Transition Kits are available since more than a year. Adobe also has serious developer resources. And I'm also sure they knew about the transition much before most of the other developers. [snip]

Bye,
Martin

Martin --

As I understand it, PS was written using the Carbon API, not Cocoa/XCode. That's one reason it's taking so long.

But agreed, PS should have been moved to XCode years ago.:mad:

Luke -- love the Cube!!!

Also, look at these benchmarks from AnandTech. Rosetta performance isn't that bad with PS...

http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2816&p=18

Last edited:
TimD, I just read your signature. Expecting a Mac Pro ? ;-)

Mine should arrive today. I promised Martin I would post the benchmark results in the benchmark topic. Can't wait!! Anyway... Photoshop will run nice here under Rosetta, we don't use many filters etc. Do you also know how Vectorworks was programmed? There's a discussion in the nemetschek forum when the UB version will come out. The company has had half a year now, so they must have something. :rolleyes:

Regards,

Peter

TimD said:
Martin --

Luke -- love the Cube!!!

Also, look at these benchmarks from AnandTech. Rosetta performance isn't that bad with PS...

http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2816&p=18

Dear Tim

Thanks for the Kind words

No I'm not knocking the Mac pro, as I mentioned earlier, I expect that C3D will scream with it, as I think Martin said it uses all 4 processors.

I just think I'll wait cs3 comes out as I do a lot of DTP and retouching.

And still have quite a few other apps that are not itel native yet...

So for me at the mo, it's a waiting game untill CS3 and combine hopefully the 8 processor version in one go.

Regards

Luke

Peer --

Yup -- ordered a 2.0 GHz, 2GB RAM, 160 GB, w. 7300...Couldn't wait for the X1900 to ship...ordered that separately and will use 7300 for second monitor. Also got two 320 GB drives for £120, so downgraded the HD. It all helps...

Also, may wait and see what the nice people over at Strangedogs.com come up with...

I'm going to a VectorWorks evening on 3rd October (on a boat on the Thames!!) so will grill them then.

Luke -- a lot of people are expecting something like that with a Core2 Duo in it!...I know I was...:(

GaKKKK!!!

Just had an e-mail from Apple to tell me my machine shipped on the 16th Aug. And I'm stuck down here at me Mam's until Next Tuesday...:( That means all that arsing about to get them to re-deliver it...

But I am doing Bike Wales on Sunday...:D (120 Km)

Oh, yesssss...

I'm looking forward to people dropping these quad-cores into the current Mac Pros -- the processors are socketed, so easily replaceable.

I'm more and more impressed with my Mac Pro with each passing day...

In answer to Luke's comment about speeding creativity, I did manage to finish off a SketchUp model that had become too unwieldy on my old system...

And [smug] I sold my old machine for £1100, so I only ended up 'paying' £350 for the new one...[/smug]

Heh.

Aaaahh...Francois beat me to it...

I'm looking into getting the one I already have overclocked...will have to wait for the propellerheads to come up with a solution.

An eight-core Cheetah render would be something, though, wouldn't it?

Back