Cheetah3D 3.4 Beta1

Cheetah3D 3.4 Beta1

Hi,
here is the first public beta of Cheetah3D 3.4. v3.4 probably won't allow you to make things you can't do with v3.3 but it will make some tasks much more convenient like generating fly through animations or working with the scene graph.

A list of the main new features can be found here.
Code:
-Added "Target" tag
-Added "Spline Tracking" tag
-Added Coord System Tool
-Drag and drop object within the scene hierarchy without changing
 their global position. You just have to hold the SHIFT key pressed 
 during the drag&drop.
-Faster OpenGL preview when working with many small objects
-many small bug fixes

For an explanation of some of the new features check out this thread.

http://cheetah3d.de/forum/showthread.php?t=767

Download link:
http://cheetah3d.com/download/Cheetah3D3.4b1.dmg

But please be aware that this is beta software. So don't use it on irreplaceable and important data.

Please post all your experiences with this beta version in this forum thread.

Many thanks for your help.

By,
Martin

I think this Icon is not correct, it looks like a bone ;-)

Regards,

Peter

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    6.8 KB · Views: 472
there seems to be a server problem as the beta is downloading VEEEEEERRRRRYYYY slow indeed... 0.7kB/sec on an ADSL2+ connection when eveerthing else downloads OK... and the file when it did come down... seemed to come incomplete

cheers
Trevor

Hi,
I've just tried it by myself and I got the max. 122KB/s of my DSL connection. The download was also complete and it worked. Please try it again. It should work. At least theoretically ;)

Bye,
Martin

The follow path and target tags work great!
I made a path for the ball to follow and a circle for the camera (including target tag).

Small movie

Regards,

Peter

tg_jp said:
But, camera key animation and target tag conflict some time with rotation value, so it causes some unwanted camera movements ( unwanted frames ). Preview is fine, but render result is not good.

Hi,
thanks for the bug report. That was a bug of course. I've fixed it and it will work in the next beta.

Bye,
Martin

ToddWR said:
By any chance will this 'feature' be comming soon? 3.5???

Sorry but no. I don't want to release that feature without a complete tool chain. And that takes time.

Bye,
Martin

Here's another try with the target and followspline tags. It's supposed to be a schematic unfolding of a crane jib. In the screenshots you can see the setup.
I hope it's clear. I can share the file if anyone's interested.

Movie

Regards,

Peter

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    18.1 KB · Views: 403
  • Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    125 KB · Views: 376
BIG Problem with 3.4b1

I made a little animation using Spline follower and targets (see the other 3.4 thread)

http://www.cheetah3d.de/forum/showthread.php?t=767&page=2

However, the file now will not open. I select it from the Open Recent... menu, nothing happens, except for a momentary SBOD, then the pointer returns. Nothing shows up in the Object Browser, then in the Finder's 'Force Quit Applications' window, Cheetah's name turns red and it posts 'Not Responding'.

I can still open the original file (the one BEFORE I added the animation elements).

Hi Tim,
sorry of the problems.

TimD said:
However, the file now will not open. I select it from the Open Recent... menu, nothing happens, except for a momentary SBOD, then the pointer returns. Nothing shows up in the Object Browser, then in the Finder's 'Force Quit Applications' window, Cheetah's name turns red and it posts 'Not Responding'.

Do you get some error messages in Console.app? How big is your file when you .zip it? Can you mail me the file? If the file is to big can you reproduce the bug in a smaller example scene?

Until now I've never encountered that problem so an example would really help to solve the problem.

TimD said:
I can still open the original file (the one BEFORE I added the animation elements).
I'm happy to hear that you still have the old file. That's why I always say "But please be aware that this is beta software. So don't use it on irreplaceable and important data."

Bye,
Martin

Martin --

Here's the output from the console when I try to load the file:

The file is 4.4MB zipped -- can I mail it to you?

Attachments

• Picture 8.jpg
    Picture 8.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 328
Hi,
I think I've already found the bug but please send me the file. So I can test it by myself if it works.

Don't worry I'm very sure that the next beta will be able to open your file again.

Bye,
Martin

OK, sent...

but have a look at the link below: usinng Spline follower and Target tags as before. The animation plays nicely in OpenGL in the editor, but the final rendered mov. keeps jumping back to the same view all the time. Weird.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdvUAG4T4pI

Edit: I just re-tried it with "Adjust just Heading" turned off and it rendered OK -- but the views weren't that good.

Last edited:
TimD said:
OK, sent...

Thanks. I received it and was able to solve the problem. The problem was that you've used a camera object as the rail property of the "Spline Tracking" tag (see image). But the rail must be a spline object. I now ctach that exeption and it won't cause a crash anymore in the next beta.

TimD said:
but have a look at the link below: usinng Spline follower and Target tags as before. The animation plays nicely in OpenGL in the editor, but the final rendered mov. keeps jumping back to the same view all the time. Weird.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdvUAG4T4pI

Edit: I just re-tried it with "Adjust just Heading" turned off and it rendered OK -- but the views weren't that good.

It's difficult to see from the movie what is going wrong. How did you set the the tags. In some cases it might be necessary to use a rail spline to avoid flipping.

Bye,
Martin

Attachments

• Cheetah3DSchnappschuss001.jpg
    Cheetah3DSchnappschuss001.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 305
Martin

You seriously underestimate the value and importance of this function. When dropped objects are complex, nested, with various rotations, and must be grouped and ungrouped repeatedly until the right combination of groupings is found, keeping their global position is absolutely critical. I know you don't believe me, but with this function, I think users will now be able to do things that were not possible before.

I understand that it was difficult to implement, so I will thank you in advance.

Thank you.

Martin said:
Hi,
here is the first public beta of Cheetah3D 3.4. v3.4 probably won't allow you to make things you can't do with v3.3

SNIP

-Drag and drop object within the scene hierarchy without changing
their global position. You just have to hold the SHIFT key pressed
during the drag&drop.

SNIP

Many thanks for your help.

By,
Martin

Back