Baking

Baking

Hi all, I've never baked a texture before so forgive my ignorance. I've looked around the forum but can't seem to find the answer. I baked the texture of the ball and saved the mat, then applied the new mat to the ball, and this is what I get. The mat tag, bake tag, and ball all set to UV2. Any ideas? Are there supposed to be seams on the ball?

Cheers
Terry

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-09-01 at 10.33.08.png
    Screen shot 2010-09-01 at 10.33.08.png
    94.9 KB · Views: 280
  • mat.jpg
    mat.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 272
  • Screen shot 2010-09-01 at 10.33.16.png
    Screen shot 2010-09-01 at 10.33.16.png
    95.1 KB · Views: 275
Hi Terry.
As the baking goes to the UV set2 enable "uv set: UV2" at your mesh and tangent space at your new material.

Cheers
Frank

Hi Frank, would you mind looking at the file to see where I went wrong? All seems to be UV2. I must admit I've avoided the baking issue for a long time so I thought it might be nice to at least have a clue. :smile:

Cheers
Terry

Attachments

• bake.jas.zip
    23.7 KB · Views: 209
HiTerry.
You have to change the applied texture against the baked texture. Make a new material and add the rendered /baked texture to the diffuse channel and add this new material instead of the first one.

Cheers
Frank

HiTerry.
You have to change the applied texture against the baked texture. Make a new material and add the rendered /baked texture to the diffuse channel and add this new material instead of the first one.

Cheers
Frank

Okay thanks, Frank. Been playing around for a while and kind of getting the hang of it. I noticed in another thread baking doesn't work for reflective materials. But does it work on a model that say, has 3 meshes? I'm guessing the same principal would apply to baking, just 3 times, 1 for each mesh? Or would the UVs get confused?

Cheers
Terry

Okay thanks, Frank. Been playing around for a while and kind of getting the hang of it. I noticed in another thread baking doesn't work for reflective materials. But does it work on a model that say, has 3 meshes? I'm guessing the same principal would apply to baking, just 3 times, 1 for each mesh? Or would the UVs get confused?
What channels can be baked is listed in the "Bake Texture tag".
Whole scenes can´t be baked.
We had this topic quite a lot spread all over this forum - so a search on "Bake texture" "Bake scene" will give you some good reading.

Cheers
Frank

What channels can be baked is listed in the "Bake Texture tag".
Whole scenes can´t be baked.
We had this topic quite a lot spread all over this forum - so a search on "Bake texture" "Bake scene" will give you some good reading.

Cheers
Frank

Okay thanks, Frank, I'll read up.

Cheers
Terry

Back