Animation output question

Animation output question

Ummm...

Is it possible to output an animation as a sequence of still TIFFs instead of a .mov?

I'm thinking about this in relation to stitching together QTVR movies.

Look in the macro folder of the scripts folder
QTVR Helper.js
has what I beleive you are looking for

Todd

Aaah...

Cheers, Todd. Will check it out.

In case anyone's interested, here's a QTVR that I generated with Cheetah and Stitcher. Stitcher's interface is a bit dodgy, but the technology and the results are pretty impressive -- just need to get rid of the "Holes at the Poles".

(I know you've seen this model a million times before, but I've not had much opportunity to do any new stuff lately)

Aaah, bugger -- can't attach it -- too big (580KB).

Any chance of increasing the filesize limit on the forum?

Tim,

QuickTime Pro will export an image sequence for you. And Stitcher is real dodgy. I've used it for years, but it is real clunky and some menus are still in French!

TimD said:
Is it possible to output an animation as a sequence of still TIFFs instead of a .mov?

I'm thinking about this in relation to stitching together QTVR movies.

Hi Tim,

I don't think there is a need to do what you are asking. You can save your animation with the standard .mov extension and then drop that movie directly onto the icon of the free Apple app. "MakeCubic". MakeCubic will generate directly your QTVR without you having to do anything (you might have to check/set the preferences once at first). So, you can forget about Stitcher ... :cool:

MakeCubic is available here : http://developer.apple.com/quicktime/quicktimeintro/tools/

For the others who might want to try these QTVR's (it's so easy) here is a camera that's already set for this purpose. Just add your HRDI and/or Rad tags if needed. Eventually turn off the camera light and you are all set. Render the animation and save it as usual. Then drop the movie on MakeCubic. That's it. Your QTVR movie is now ready and saved in the same location as your animation.

This camera is positionned at "0,1.8,0". You can move it to another location but remember to record the new position for the 6 images of the animation otherwise you will have to render it again.

Attachments

• QTVR Cam.jas.zip
    4.4 KB · Views: 360
Cheers, all --

As usual, can't try anything out now because I'm back at me Mam's house trying to sort out the sale of my house.

Still the make QTVR script looks like it can do what I want it to -- I just need to edit it to get the camera positions that I want. Saving the images as they finish rendering may be tricky, though.

Jake - Know what you mean about Stitcher -- with its lovely Windows dialog boxes and 'Apply' buttons... still, the stitching technology is pretty good.

Francois -- haven't tried 'Make Cubic' -- but I'm stitching panoramas that have a top, middle, and bottom sequence...don't know if a droplet like Make Cubic could handle that.

Martin -- tried rendering out a panorama, but it does produce a lot of distortion at the poles:

http://cheetah3d.de/forum/showthread.php?t=418&highlight=cool!

The slightly more involved way that I'm using eliminates this distortion completely.

Oh, and I see you can spell 'Bye' properly, now!!! ;0);0);0);0)

TimD said:
Francois -- haven't tried 'Make Cubic' -- but I'm stitching panoramas that have a top, middle, and bottom sequence...don't know if a droplet like Make Cubic could handle that.

Yes, Mac cubic does that job very well. Especially if you have images which fit perfectly together like rendered images. I was able to create QTVR's without any seams or poles.

TimD said:
Martin -- tried rendering out a panorama, but it does produce a lot of distortion at the poles:

That's true.

TimD said:
Oh, and I see you can spell 'Bye' properly, now!!! ;0);0);0);0)

It took years until someone told me that I spelled it wrong. :( :( :( So please feel free to correct my english. I know it is not the best.

Bye,
Martin

TimD said:
Still the make QTVR script looks like it can do what I want it to -- I just need to edit it to get the camera positions that I want. Saving the images as they finish rendering may be tricky, though.

Why is this tricky ?

TimD said:

MakeCubic is not a droplet but a full and very flexible application

TimD said:

http://cheetah3d.de/forum/showthread.php?t=418&highlight=cool!

I have converted QTVR's out of Cheetah3D panoramas without distortions so, I don't understand your comment on this. Have you adjusted the FOV ?

TimD said:
The slightly more involved way that I'm using eliminates this distortion completely.

Can you please explain what is the "slightly more involved way that I'm using"

Anyway, if you are willing to share your files, I am willing to take a look at this to produce a nice looking QTVR. I do think that Cheetah3D and MakeCubic are very well suited to produce QTVR's

Back