Combining Geometry

Combining Geometry

Hello,

I have two shapes that I want to combine. I put one into the other in the Object Browser and then imported children but this hasn't combined the geometry so I now have overlapping faces in a single object.

I tried optimising the object but that had no effect.

Is there any way of combining the objects geometry?

Thanks in advance
Steve

Thanks.

I've already deleted the child. I now have the two pieces of geometry in a single object. Maybe I should have done a boolean unite on them before importing children?

I now have the two pieces of geometry in a single object. Maybe I should have done a boolean unite on them before importing children?
No.
That´s the way to go: drop the children onto the main mesh, call "Import children" and make editable again.

Which leads me to the question why it´s 2 steps than just "Import children" and Bingo? Just curious.

Cheers
Frank

Hi LAB618,

which kind of object do you expect?

"Import child" let you edit both meshes like one. That means you can select points, edges etc. in both meshes and edit them.

I think you are looking for something different, am I right?

cheers
wal

Hi everyone, thanks for your input.

I've done as Frank said, imported children and made editable.

Wal, I'm looking for two overlapping shapes to become a single shape.

I've attached a screenshot. The two prisms making the body are a single object in the object browser but still two separate pieces of geometry within that object and can be moved independently of each other.

The edge you see selected in the screenshot is a single edge of the lower prism. If the shapes were combined the diamond in the middle wouldn't be there.

Attachments

• screen.jpg
    screen.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 215
Ok - this was misleading. Overlapping geometry is a no go for "Import children". But the result of a Boolean operation is for sure not what you want to have. This shape is so basic that it can be done in maybe 5 or 6 steps in less than 20 sec. Do you need the parallelogram in the middle of the torso?

Cheers
Frank

now I see... you have to edit your mesh i think, I mean using Weld and/or Bridge tools. I'm not sure what's the best way to do it, so I'm gonna wait for Frank's solution :smile: (I would have done it another way from the start)
maybe it would have been better to add this shot in your first post... so it would have been easier to help you out ;)

cheers,
A

EDIT: like so? (Box -> Editable -> Resize -> RingCut in the middle -> LoopSelect the new cut -> scale along X)

Attachments

• Schermata 2010-04-07 a 14.06.28.png
    Schermata 2010-04-07 a 14.06.28.png
    56.6 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
Thanks.

I know there are easier ways to model, just wanted to know if it was possible to combine overlapping geometry.

I've since found a new tutorial on making low poly characters so am going back to the start.

Thanks for all the advice.

Back