Positioning imported objects

Positioning imported objects

I'm trying to import another object from another Cheetah file to replace an existing object in my original file. How do you numerically position the imported object to match exactly the position of the existing one? All of the objects in the scene record a position of 0,0,0. ???????

Tony --

If you export an object from an external program and import it into Cheetah, then change it in the original program and re-export, it will import into Cheetah in EXACTLY the same place (unless,of course, ou moved it in the original program).

In short, you don't need to do anything.

As regards the 0,0,0 issue, this is where Cheetah puts an object's axes when is first imported into a program, irrespective of where the object's geometry is with respect to the origin.

It would be nice to have a tool to re-set an object's axes to be coincident with the object (like C4D does).

imported objects

Naw, that won't work because I've already moved everything. I need to find out the exact numerical position, size and angle of an existing object in my scene so that when I bring in my new DXF to replace it, I can punch in the numbers to make it match. ????

Hi,
I'm not sure if I understood your problem. You've moved some objects but they still show 0,0,0 as position? Normally if you move the a object also the position should change. Or did you move polygon selections?

By,
Martin

imported objects

What I did was to create a model in Ray Dream Studio, imported that into Cheetah 3D in order to render it. I saved the file and after I rendered it I saw some things I didn't like, so I went back into Ray Dream, remodeled one piece and exported that one piece back out as a DXF. When I imported that DXF into Cheetah to replace the one piece that was defective, it came in really big. So I wanted to just select the one piece that was defective, get the coordinates and then use them to resize and position the new imported DXF. But when I did so, the coordinates were 0,0,0. And strange enough, ALL the coordinates for every single piece in the scene was 0,0,0. Is that normal? When I first imported the original model I did have to move it around a bit, a little rotation here and there. But even that didn't show up in the coordinates. So I just had to reimport the entire object and retexture everything.

Hi,
how did you move the objects. Did you move the object or did you move a polygon selection. If you move a polygon selection only the vertices are moved. But if you move the object in object mode the hole objects coordiante system will be moved.

Does your DXF file show up as a single object or does Cheetah3D import your DXF scene in various objects. Since some DXF exporter create only one layer and therefore Cheetah3D imports the scene as one single object.

Also did you save your Cheetah3D scene as .jas file (the Cheetah3D native file format). If you've saved it as DXF file the transformations are fattened into the mesh. So they will be lost too.

By,
Martin

imported objects

I just moved everything with the arrows on the XYZ axis. I'd select it from the list on the right and then select the arrow point that I want to move and move it. Saved the original files as a jas file.

Hi,
that's right. But if you then open the .jas file the position of the moved objects in unequal (0,0,0). I would be really surprised if that wouldn't be the case.

If that isn't the case maybe you can sent me a .jas file which shows that strange behaviour.

By,
Martin

imported objects

You said: that's right. But if you then open the .jas file the position of the moved objects in unequal (0,0,0). I would be really surprised if that wouldn't be the case.

I have no idea what you just said. I know that in Ray Dream, each and every object has its own position numerically (which is different from every other object), and no matter what you do, save the file, move the object or anything, each object still has its own seperate numeric position. It seems that in Cheetah, everything defaults to the center (0,0,0) and just stays there.

Hi,
Cheetah3D does exactly what you want. But you have to save the scene to Cheetah3D's native .jas file format.

If you save it to DXF for example the position gets lost since in DXF all vertices are saved in the global coordinate system. So if you save your scene in RayDream to DXF the position gets lost during saving. The object appears with position (0,0,0) in Cheetah3D.

If you know reposition the object in Cheetah3D and save the scene as a .jas file the position will be retained. But if you save it again as DXF it gets lost as DXF doesn't save the position.

So always save your scenes as .jas in Cheetah3D. So your position information want get lost.

By,
Martin

Back