Shapes with bevels

Shapes with bevels

How can I make a cube, or a cylinder, with bevels ?

I can't find the info anywhere.

Re: Shapes with bevels

Kali said:
How can I make a cube, or a cylinder, with bevels ?

I can't find the info anywhere.

At the moment you have to create the bevels manually. There are no properties in the cube object for example which does that for you.

Meanwhile you can do the following to create a beveled cube.

1. Create a cube
2. Make it editable with the menu command "Menu->Object->Make editable"
3. Use the "Ring cut" polygon tool to create a mesh like in image 3.
4. Make two subdivision steps with the "Catmull- Clark Subdivide" polygon tool.

Et voila you have a beveled cube.

Hope that helps.

By,
Martin

Attachments

• beveling_168.jpg
    beveling_168.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 1,289
Thanks for the tip.

But IMHO, you should add bevel options to all shapes before adding any animation features, which are useless to me. I think bevels are much more important for 3D modeling.

Kali said:
But IMHO, you should add bevel options to all shapes before adding any animation features, which are useless to me. I think bevels are much more important for 3D modeling.

Probably not. Because I got dozens of requests for animation and you are just the second who requested beveled primitives (boxes, cylinders, ect.).
In general I implement the more often requested features first. That's why beveled primitives have a quite low priority yet. Especially because there exists a quite easy work arround. I hope you understand my policy.

Beveled text is something completely different. For such a feature exists much higher interest.

By,
Martin

there is many way to create bevelled edges with Cheetah3D

1. select edge which you want to create bevel by edge mode, and do inner Extrude once widh distance regulated.
2. keep selecting the edge, and convert selection to Points, and delete all selected points.
3. using Bridge tools, click two corresponding points, automatically hole closed.
(4) if Bridge tools failed, undo and close some bad hole manually with create polygon or create polygonstrip tools, and try again with Bridge tools.

you can create simple bebel on primitives and Extruded Text with this way.

bevel.jpg

kali,

a edge selective feature would be a lot more helpful than a beveled primitive.

as mentioned bevels can be applied by modeling and by this way they are also more flexible.

claas

Hi tp_jp,
thats is really interesting to see another way to solve the problem of beveled text. There are probably many ways out there to do it.
Here is just another method how I normally make it.

1. Create the 3D text and make it editable.
2. Select the edge of the 3D text with the "Ring selection" tool. (Menu->Selection->Ring selection). (2 mouse clicks).
3. Use the "Inner extrude" tool to come to image 3. (1 mouse click).
4. Use the "Nornal move" polygon tool to move the polygon selection of image 3. outward. (1 mouse click).

After some readjustment of the "smooth angle" property of the polygon object you are done.

As you can see it is possible to make beveled text with just a few mouse clicks. :)

f.ip2 what do you mean with a "edge selective" feature? A ring- or a edge- loop tool? Both are already available.

By,
Martin

Attachments

• beveledtext_979.jpg
    beveledtext_979.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 1,233
Back