Wickepedia entry wrong about Cheetah3d?

Wickepedia entry wrong about Cheetah3d?

From the URL:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheetah3D

The line in RED is what I believe is incorrect...is it?

"Cheetah3D is aimed primarily at amateur artists, and so focuses on providing features for creating simple 3D scenes. Its selection of features is narrow but focused to add in its usefulness and simplicity. For example, it supports a variety of geometric primitives, including polygon meshes and Bezier curves. Its features also allow for box modeling with subdivision surfaces In addition, it has some simple animation support, including spline-based camera paths and targeted objects. It also supports skeletal deformations, morph targets, and subdivision surfaces, making its single character animation effective.

However, the software is currently unable to animate more than a single character.

The program also has advanced rendering settings, which allow for antialiasing, raytraced shadows, depth of field, HDRI, ambient occlusion, caustics lighting, soft shadowing and photon-mapped caustics.
The program uses many of the common 3D file formats, including 3ds, obj, sia, and FBX. Media produced by the program can also be used in Unity 3D, which is a game development tool.
The latest version Cheetah 3D is 4.6.3, which requires at least Mac OS X v10.4, but is also compatible with Mac OS X v10.5[4]."

Very strange - I see different text when I log in...

mdillender - perhaps clear your browser history and try again. let me know.

Attachments

• Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    95.2 KB · Views: 340
And now you have to check the page every day to make sure that some Official Wikipedia Editor doesn't undo your change out of spite.

Seriously.

I used to try and correct errors in Wikipedia, but found that the site is overrun with people who have big egos and a surplus of ignorance.

While I agree the entry is incorrect, I'm thinking the person who wrote that is probably trying to express an actual limitation of C3D -- poses and takes are scene-wide not object (or skeleton, or whatever) specific. You can restrict the impact of a pose to a specific hierarchy, but you need to do all the management yourself. So, while *technically* you can animate more than one character, *practically* it's very difficult -- more difficult than working with a single character, which is hard enough.

In more capable 3D programs you can -- for example -- merge a character into a scene bringing that character's "takes" and "poses" (and indeed composite animation sequences build by blending takes together, etc.) and manage all this on a by-character basis.

Last edited:
Back