how do i lock layers so you can move multiple objects

Hi,
to group objects just create a "Folder" object (Objects->Scene->Folder). Then drag and drop all objects which belong together into the folder. Now if you move the folder all of its content will be moved too.

By,
Martin

Useful but incomplete. Folders do indeed let you move multiple objects at once. But, as the original poster asked, how do you LOCK a folder so that none of the objects in the folder can be moved independently?

My take based on 24 hours experience :) Since Cheetah3D is supposed to be the most "Mac-like" of the 3D programs, it'd be nice to have some familiar commands like "Group", "Lock", "Duplicate", "Align" etc. These have been around since the MacDraw days, and it would help us 2D mavens make the transition to 3D.

Hi,
StephenFleming said:
how do you LOCK a folder so that none of the objects in the folder can be moved independently

ok that isn't possible but why do you want to make that. Cheetah3D more works like the Finder in that area.

StephenFleming said:
it'd be nice to have some familiar commands like "Group", "Lock", "Duplicate", "Align" etc.

You can do most of these but they are called differently. For "Group" use the folder object. "Lock" doesn't work yet. To "Duplicate" a object you can copy and paste it. And for "Align" you can either use the Quantize tool or the quantize properties of the transform tool.

But you are right. I should probably consider renaming some thing to make in conform better to 2D apps.

By,
Martin

Martin said:
StephenFleming said:
it'd be nice to have some familiar commands like "Group", "Lock", "Duplicate", "Align" etc.

You can do most of these but they are called differently. For "Group" use the folder object. "Lock" doesn't work yet. To "Duplicate" a object you can copy and paste it. And for "Align" you can either use the Quantize tool or the quantize properties of the transform tool.

But you are right. I should probably consider renaming some thing to make in conform better to 2D apps.

By,
Martin
Martin

I think there is more than a naming convention involved. It's a great program for rendering, but--at the risk of sounding harsh--I have found organizing scene elements to be a complete nightmare. If you move a folder, then everything that gets grouped to that folder gets moved also. Folders and non-editable objects can't burn the transformations, and a child's transformation isn't burned with its parent. Editable objects can't have their transfromations burned by moving them in a folder. It isn't possible to quantify rotation and scale transformations except by using the Properties box, and that only works on complete objects. The position, rotation and scale boxes are constantly collapsing themselves, so it's hard to know where anything is.

I hope I am doing something really, really wrong, because even for a simple scene, I am spending large amounts of time just trying to get things in the proper locations relative to each other and moving them and re moving them. It is *very* unintuitive and *very* discouraging.

Of course all programs are a little different, and have their strengths and weaknesses, but I think this is a major, major problem with Cheetah.

Sorry, but after using this for a couple of weeks, that's my opinion. Are there any tutorials on this?

Eric
:(

Hi,
sorry but that's how a transformation stack work. Everything other would be confusing in my eyes. All 3D apps and game engines I know who use a scene graph work the same way.
You have to consider that a folder in a scene graph has always it's own coordinate system. Moving the folder also moves it's coordiante system and therefore it's child objects.
It's like in the real world. If you move a folder you would be probably quite annoyed if the paper stays at the same global position on your desk.

By,
Martin

Martin

I have never used any application anywhere where grouping and ungrouping objects causes them to move globally. My experience has been that the newly formed group typically centers itself around the grouped objects. Then the group's coordinate system can be relocated, if desired.

At least two people have commented on this. Am I being unreasonable?

Can someone else explain how to go about making complex scenes without going crazy, because I think this is completely bass ackwards.

Thanks!
:wink: :?

Eric_J said:
I have never used any application anywhere where grouping and ungrouping objects causes them to move globally.

:shock:

On the contrary, I never used any applications that have "members" of a group with absolute coordinates and that are totally independant from this group. Even with 2D softwares, Grouping objects means expressing their coodinates relatively to a local coordinate system (the group one).

IMHO, I think Martin's approach is the standard one : object are relative to their group. Transforming the group means transforming all its members, and you can transform each object or sub-group individually inside its parent.

My 2 cents... :wink:

Sorry if I misunderstood Eric_j request...
:?:

how do i lock layers so you can move multiple objects

Before I add my comments on this topic, let me congratulate Martin for his devotion to his work on Cheetah.
He is extremely responsive to his users and their questions about Cheetah.

Now my own opinion on this topic is that most of the problems regarding groupings and groups of objects and their manipulations directly in the viewport are due to the inability of selecting multiple objects in the current versions of Cheetah 3D. Once this multiple object selection feature in implemened, it will be possible to issue simple commands to instantly group, join, bind, chain, unify, etc etc those selected objects.

At the moment one can only select multiple polygons in Cheetah 3D. I have requested this multi-object selection feature for Cheetah 3D version 3.
I trust Martin will include this with version 3, or 2.xxxx. It is very useful when building objects with multiple parts - for
example architectural structures, motor vehicles etc.

Greetings to everybody.
Enoch

Back