A few renders to get things started on the new forum

TrevorM-L said:
it has worked pretty good so far... thanx for the file... haven't tried with hdri yet... just simple radiosity and lighting settings...

how ddoes one choose a soft shadow or a hard shadow... as my balls ( :lol: ) seem to only want to have hard shadows... in the past I have got soft ones but have no idea what I did then... memory going you know...
:lol: :lol:

cheers
Trevor

The distant light throws a hard shadow. With the spot-if the angle of the light is 50 set the soft cutoff at 40 then it should give you a softer shadow. The area light is best for a soft shadow, but takes longer to render.

Try HDRI Trevor. It makes all the difference in the world-really.

As far as the softness of your... well, that's too much information for me thank you! :shock:

Thanks for the heads up on the difference between the different light Jake...

I have done a few with HDRI and it is MOST impressive indeed...

is it possible to use HDRI and still get a sharpish shadow as here in Oz we tend to have quite strong shadows because of the very bright light... so need a combination of soft and hard...

cheers
Trevor

TrevorM-L said:
Thanks for the heads up on the difference between the different light Jake...

I have done a few with HDRI and it is MOST impressive indeed...

is it possible to use HDRI and still get a sharpish shadow as here in Oz we tend to have quite strong shadows because of the very bright light... so need a combination of soft and hard...

cheers
Trevor

Use a HDRI and a distant light for the sun. The hdri will light the scene evenly and the distant light will give you the sharp shadows. Adjust the two up or down to get the effect you want. That's how I did the Gellersen model.

Attachments

• geller11a-1_194.jpg
    geller11a-1_194.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 1,444
Ah Huh... got it now... I will make notes from now on I think as I go along...

will try that tonite... why the hell does work have to get in the way of having fun...

Oh... that's right... to pay for the fun... what a bugga!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

cheers
Trevor

hi

am not sure if the color bleeding is a bit to strong in your rendering!

otherwise the light setup looks pretty good.

claas

f.ip2 said:
hi

am not sure if the color bleeding is a bit to strong in your rendering!

otherwise the light setup looks pretty good.

claas

Yea, the radiosity bounces the brick color onto the soffitt a little too much. I agree. I'm not sure whether to turn the radiosity down or the number of bounces. The brick color is a little oversaturated. That probably didn't help.

Martin, what is the best way to diminish that effect?

Jake said:
farns.jpg

Another render from an early experiment. This is a SketchUp model, rendered in Cheetah, composited with a background in Photoshop, then imported into Piranesi to add people.

Pardon me if this is a stupid question (I'm on a pc now, not a mac, so I can't check the demo out). I just found out about this program..... you said that you could export to piranesi?? Is there an option to export to a ..epx file? Or do you go about it some other way?

Again... I haven't tryied the demo yet, I won't be able to until tomorrow, so I don't know if this is a dumb question. Exporting to piranesi would be a HUGE thing for me.

Thanks.

-Keith

Keith,

You can export to Piranesi from SketchUp. Cheetah3d does not do that yet. I hope Martin can write a plugin for that one of these days when things slow down a bit.

What I did was take a tif generated in Cheetah and import it into Piranesi, but it isn't much different then Photoshop at this point, Piranesi has all the landscape and people cutouts so it was easier then loading it all into Photoshop.

If Cheetah supported Piranesi, then the exported epix file generated would be 2D, but retain all of its 3D spacial information. When you add cutouts of people in Piranesi the cutout will get smaller as it moves farther back into the scene implying perspective. You can also place people behind desks etc. Its like Photoshop on steroids.

It's not the cheapest software, but you can do a lot with it. Look at the user gallery at their site and look at snoopywang's stuff. He is a Piranesi master.

Jake-

Thanks. I use Piranesi all the time. I purchased a student license last fall, and I use it with my school's SketchUp. I LOVE sketchup. I mistook what you said. I thought you had said that you could export from Cheetah to an .epix. I use the Sketchup/Piranesi combo all the time. I just want to use realistic renderings with Piranesi. I see what you are saying though- I have exported tiffs from the likes of Accurender to Pirensi to use the cutouts- I was just hoping for a more 3d, direct approach. Thanks for the response though.

-Keith

kwick7 said:
Jake-

Thanks. I use Piranesi all the time. I purchased a student license last fall, and I use it with my school's SketchUp. I LOVE sketchup. I mistook what you said. I thought you had said that you could export from Cheetah to an .epix. I use the Sketchup/Piranesi combo all the time. I just want to use realistic renderings with Piranesi. I see what you are saying though- I have exported tiffs from the likes of Accurender to Pirensi to use the cutouts- I was just hoping for a more 3d, direct approach. Thanks for the response though.

-Keith

Yea, I like Piranesi a lot. I also use Lightwave occasionally. I can export a more realistic render as an epix from Lightwave and mess with it in Piranesi. I'd prefer to start with that type of render over the SketchUp output, but Lightwave is a pain. Cheetah would be ideal.

One of these days Martin might get a chance to write a plugin.

Jake said:
Yea, I like Piranesi a lot. I also use Lightwave occasionally. I can export a more realistic render as an epix from Lightwave and mess with it in Piranesi. I'd prefer to start with that type of render over the SketchUp output, but Lightwave is a pain. Cheetah would be ideal.

Heh.... lightwave always scared me. I could never get even close to something that looked right. I guess I'm just an accurender kinda guy.

I can't seem to get this Cheetah working for me either. Maybe I'm just so used to the other programs.

kwick7 said:
Jake said:

Heh.... lightwave always scared me. I could never get even close to something that looked right. I guess I'm just an accurender kinda guy.

I can't seem to get this Cheetah working for me either. Maybe I'm just so used to the other programs.

Cheetah's easy kwick7-compared to Lightwave at least. What's the problem? Let us know what the problem is and we'll fix it.

Jake

I think the problem is just me, not the program. :) It seems great. It's just entirely defirent than AutoCad/ Accurender, which I am used to. Moving the camera around is still very awkward to me.... but assigning materials to an imported (from autocad to .3ds) model- I just couldn't figure i out. :)

I think its just me though.

kwick7 said:
I think the problem is just me, not the program. :) It seems great. It's just entirely defirent than AutoCad/ Accurender, which I am used to. Moving the camera around is still very awkward to me.... but assigning materials to an imported (from autocad to .3ds) model- I just couldn't figure i out. :)

I think its just me though.

Just ask and someone should be able to help. There are a lot of helpful people on the forum.

kwick7 said:
but assigning materials to an imported (from autocad to .3ds) model- I just couldn't figure i out. :)

Hi,
you have to drag and drop the material onto the object in the object browser. You probably draged the material on the object in the 3D view. That doesn't work yet.

By,
Martin

Nice Work

Very nice work. I've been looking for some type of software that can handle the job, yet export to other formats.

Since I'm a student trying to finishing my degree in Digital Art & Animation I'm always open to new ideas and of course affordable software.

Have you done any exporting to 3D Studio Max yet? If so how well did it do?

Thanks

Mcfar :D

Re: Nice Work

mcfar said:
Very nice work. I've been looking for some type of software that can handle the job, yet export to other formats.

Since I'm a student trying to finishing my degree in Digital Art & Animation I'm always open to new ideas and of course affordable software.

Have you done any exporting to 3D Studio Max yet? If so how well did it do?

Thanks

Mcfar :D

Thanks

I have not exported a .3ds from Cheetah to Max. We have a 3dMax guy in our office, but I am trying to get the firm to use the "leaner", "quicker" softwares. It takes our guy a couple weeks to model a building in max which is just too long. I have been modeling in SketchUp and bringing it into Cheetah or Piranesi. It suites ninety-nine percent of our clients.

I also working with a local University to develop a virtual reality model which is played through a VisBox with 3d glasses on a 10-foot high screen. The only software we could export from and convert to the VizBox format was the Cheetah .obj file. Tried everything else including Max, Lightwave, SketchUp on and on, but none of them worked. So, I do know that export works quite well. The dxf export works well into SketchUp. I really only import .3ds into Cheetah.

Out of curiosity, why are you going BACK to max from Cheetah. I think the Cheetah exterior HDRI renders are fantastic and hard to beat for the price and man-hours spent in preparation.

Having to ask about 3D Max

Thanks for the reply. I only asked because the school I'm going to is using it for their first 3D Modeling class. The school is Madison Media Institute in Madison Wisconsin.

I have complained so many times their getting sick of me. But I have asked them to call around and ask companies what they use and join the real world.

Mcfar

Open Mind

An "OPEN MIND" is all I have most of the time (only joking).

But seriously, I own a Mac and a PC laptop and I was a certified Network Engineer, MCSE, A++ and Novell certified until version 5. So It's hard not to keep an open mind.

Well, I've got a few more tracks to lay down on a Pro Tools assignment, so I better get going. Thanks again for the feed back.

mcfar

Back