Bialetti Moka Express

Bialetti Moka Express

The folks at pushpullbar.com egged me on so I had to render the Bialetti Moka Express. The pot was modeled by Michel at pushpull, accessories from formfonts, which I subscribe to, and the the tabletop and HDRI etc by me. Martin is helping me with some logo embossing tricks. Thanks Martin.

This is his trick if you want to try.

First of all I haven't tried that trick but it should work.

1. Create a bump map with the logo. The bump map is black everywhere only where the logo is it is very noisy.

2. Create a material with that bump map. The material should be reflective of course.

3. Add a "Render Tag" and the material to the pot.

4. Disable "filter textures" in the render tag.

This material setup should perturb the normals at the logo while normals won't change outside the logo. Disabling texture filtering at the pot avoids the noise being filtered out of the bump map by Cheetah3D.

Attachments

• 2_174.jpg
    2_174.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 1,287
Another version with a toaster added. Still not getting that logo to lighten up.

Attachments

• 5_138.jpg
    5_138.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 1,334
Hello Jake,
I've been trying to get the effect you want. Here's my try. The zipfile contains the Cheetah file and a bump.jpg. Use this jpg as a bumpmap and also put this map in the transparency tab. I cloned the faces that have the logo and gave that another texture (bump and transparency). The rest of the cylinder has the same material without the bump and transparency.
I hope that I've helped you now.

Regards,

Peter

PS. The model looks great, very realistic!! It reminds me to buy some coffee, since we ran out of it this morning at our office.

Attachments

• test_193.zip
    148 KB · Views: 548
  • test_172.jpg
    test_172.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 1,312
That looks great Peter. I tried the cloning thing but still didn't quit get the effect I wanted. I didn't want to have as much edge, just a matte haze where the logo would be. Can you lighten up the bump so I can see what that looks like?

Jake, I'm not sure what you mean with "lighten up the bump"? Can you explain please? The bumpmap is just a plain black and white image (no greyscale). All the files are in the zip file. If it isn't working, I'll mail it to you.

Regards,

Peter

Jake, here's the same LOGO on the model you sent me a while ago.
No cloning this time. Just selected the faces to use another material. I copied the silver material and added the bump.jpg to the bump channel AND to the reflection channel. Bump setting is 0.05 .

Regards,

Peter

Attachments

• espresso_344.jpg
    espresso_344.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 1,218
Jake,
Can you please share your settings for the aluminium ?
I have been trying to get the same kind of effects, but for gold, without real success. Maybe this could help.
Tks in advance

Jake,
I have been trying to get the same kind of effects, but for gold, without real success. Maybe this could help.
Tks in advance

Francois said:
Jake,
Tks in advance

I've found the secret to aluminum is a lighter base color. If you want a crome then you need a dark grey. If you want the stainless or aluminum use a lighter grey. The settings vary from. .3 power and 1-.5 for power to dull the finish a bit.
These settings have the reflection set up for a glossier look I'm trying. The color is the main deal is the base color. Mess with that.

Attachments

• picture-1_187.jpg
    picture-1_187.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 839
peer said:
Jake, here's the same LOGO on the model you sent me a while ago.
No cloning this time. Just selected the faces to use another material. I copied the silver material and added the bump.jpg to the bump channel AND to the reflection channel. Bump setting is 0.05 .

Regards,

Peter

That's it Peter. Nice work. Reflection channel heh? I'm going to give it shot. Thanks a bunch!

I added a biscotti. Now I'll have to give displacement maps a spin!

I lost a couple images I made using Peter's technique. Worked great. I'll do them again tomorrow.

Attachments

• biscotti_130.jpg
    biscotti_130.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 1,017
Nice images allready. It's good to hear that I could be of help. Did you model this in Cheetah or Sketchup?
Keep us posted!!

Regards,

Peter

peer said:
Did you model this in Cheetah or Sketchup?
Peter

Peter, see the first post. Mostly SketchUp, little Cheetah, my hdri and of course the fabulous Cheetah3d render engine!

I'm trying to use more Cheetah Martin... really I'm trying!

Thanks Martin,

By the way, what s the best way to turn that biscotti into a crumbly mess? Also, I have a little problem. I'll post it here in a couple minutes.

Here's the problem. First time it's happened. First a screen shot of my setup.

Attachments

• picture-3_505.jpg
    picture-3_505.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 478
Back