1st Cheetah3D-Contest

1st Cheetah3D-Contest

Splash_winter_blau.jpg

Contest overview:
This is the first offical Cheetah3D modelling and rendering competition. It is under the Motto "Winter". So every entry which has anything to do with the winter is allowed like christmas, new year, santa clause, rendeer, candles, snow mans, houses in the snow, presents etc.

The contest officially starts at 1.Dec.2005 and ends at 16.Dec.2005.

So start up your render engines and good luck,
Martin

The Prizes:
1. iPod nano (black, 2GByte)
2. HDRI Texture Collection (2 CD's)
3. HDRI Texture Collection (2 CD's)

Entry Requirements:
1. The image must have been created (at least rendered) with Cheetah3D.
2. The image consist only of Entrant’s own original work or of work to which Entrant has all necessary rights.
3. If others apps than Cheetah3D have been used this has to be disclosed.
4. The entry meets the contest Motto "Winter".

How to enter:
To take place at the Cheetah3D-Contest send the following material
1. The entry image (640x480, .tiff file)
2. A screenshot of the 3D scene in Cheetah3D (640x480, .jpg file).
3. The list of apps which have been used to create the entry.
3. Your complete postal and email address.
to the following email address. martin@cheetah3d.de

Judging:
Entered images which meet the Entry Deadline and Entry Requirements will be preselected by a jury. The actuall winner will then be publicly voted from the preselected entries in the Cheetah3D user forum. If two or more entries get the same number of votes the jury chooses the final winner from the entries with the same number of votes.

Termination:
The organizer reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend the Contest in its sole and absolute discretion if the Contest becomes technically corrupted or is not capable of being run as planned, including unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures or any other causes beyond the control of organizer that corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of the Contest.

Last edited:
Oh, man, this is brilliant! Excellent idea, Martin! :)

I could really do with an iPod Nano to replace my Panasonic CD player ;)

Should my entry be realistic or cartoonish?

I am deciding whether to do a cartoony house with a funny snowman out side. It won't be real to life but it will be detailed. What are the renderings
judged on?

Hi,
don't worry, a cartoony rendering would be fine of course. It would be great if there would be entries with different styles.

A image doesn't have to look realistic to be great. Otherwise nobody would watch cartoons :wink:

By,
Martin

Martin said:
Hi,
no sorry just one. Simply take your best image :wink:

Animation is a great feature of Cheetah3D. While this is leading to bigger files, this would be another way of demonstrating Cheetah's capabilities.
Anyway, just an idea.

Hi Francois,
that's an good idea. Maybe another time. But changing the rules during the contest is probably not very welcome. Especially since I've already received some entries.

One more thing. I forgot to mention that the winners will also get a free update to Cheetah3D 3.0 once it is available.

By,
Martin

This is looking better and better every day. I'm quite excited about the competition, even if I don't win (but we all know that won't happen ;) ).

I did want to ask one final question before submitting an entry, though: in your first post, you say that the rendered image must be in a .tiff format. Does this mean it has to be the exact image that Cheetah renders, or may it be postprocessed in Photoshop before submission?

Hi,
David I'm looking forward to your entry but I would also say no postwork. Sorry. Maybe some very limited if it is really necessary. But a pure Cheetah3D rendering is prefered :wink: And if you made some post processing you have to disclose it when you sent in your entry as mentioned in the "Entry Requirements".

And don't worry I think everybody has very realistic chances since this is not a contest with hundrets of entries. :wink:

By,
Martin

That's fine - the only kind of postwork I would have done is cropping, and possibly adjusting the image's colour balance if it didn't work out well.

Thanks for clearing that up, though =)

As you said in another post Randy, he's a spammer. Can you ban this guy Martin :wink:

BTW. Are there going to be any previews of entries?

Regards,

Peter

I can't speak for Martin, but I would be happy to provide the original image I submitted once the competition's deadline has been reached. You know, assuming I finish it on time (it's fairly ambitious for someone as lazy as myself ;) )

I don't think I'm going to make it. :-( My work and family needs more time right now. Too bad it doesn't run a couple of weeks longer. During the holidays I would have more time. A well I'll save it for the next one :wink:

Regards,

Peter

Hi peer and Randy,
I'm sorry that you think the time is to short. But I thought a winter/christmas contest should end before christmas and because I wanted that the winners will know before chrsitmas if they wone.

I also think that contest rules should be only changed under extrem conditions.

Nevertheless I would send in your entry, even if it isn't 100% perfect yet. It's always worth a try. And you can't lose anything. :wink:

For the next context I will give more time. Promised. :wink:

By,
Martin

I don't mind much about the relatively short time limit - my school holidays started a few days ago, so I just need to make time to actually get this project done. The problem is that I mostly just don't have hours on end to get a huge amount of work done in a single effort, but I can work on that.

Peer, sorry to hear that your family is too demanding for you to be able to finish your image. *sigh* Gee, I hate it when the competition withdraws like that ;)

Seriously, though, I hope things work out with this - and I especially look forward to seeing what you do with the next competition. =)

Randy, if I knew there was a contest coming up, I wouldn't have a nine month old son right now :wink: Anyway it's nice to know that you think I'm any competition for you.

Back