Transparency map bug?

Hi,
here is the file for the ring. Sorry but the HDRI texture is missing since I've used a texture form a commercial texture CD.
To create that effect you have to disable the irradiance cache by setting the "error" porperty in the "Radiosity" tag to zero.

As you can see on the attached images does this caustic effect depend on the used HDRI texture. Both scenes are the same. Just the .hdr texture changed.

By,
Martin

Attachments

• hadri1_650.jpg
    hadri1_650.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 834
  • hdri2_983.jpg
    hdri2_983.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 852
  • ring.jas_516.zip
    4.9 KB · Views: 438
thanx heaps for that Martin...

I will definitely have a go with it this weekend... very much appreciated...

I figured that it must be dependent on the HDRI used but did not fully realise the difference that it would actually make... quite amazing... much more real world-like indeed...

cheers
Trevor

Martin said:
Hi,
just a small note to this thread. The missing texture filtering behind transparent objects on that image will be solved in Cheetah3D 2.4.

v2.4 will also filter textures anisotropically which can be seen in reflections. :wink:

Hey!, this is very good news!!!

Martin said:
Hi,
just a small note to this thread. The missing texture filtering behind transparent objects on that image will be solved in Cheetah3D 2.4.

Hi Martin,

I've downloaded 2.4 but I have the same issues with the transparent objects and filtering. Is there something I'm doing wrong in this version? Thank you.

-Ricardo

Hi,
sorry but it works fine in all my test scenes. Could you possible mail me your scene?

By,
Martin

P.S. Are you sure that you opened your scene with v2.4? If there is a older copy of a app on the disc OS X sometimes uses the old version to open a file when you double click it in the Finder.

e.g.

Hi Martin,

I am using the demo version. Thank you very much for writing this application, I really appreciate its simplicity.

This being said, I probably have the same problem as Ricardo, the following is made with 2.4

Many Thanks,

Emu

Attachments

• radiosity_setting_479.jpg
    radiosity_setting_479.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 675
  • camera_setting_137.jpg
    camera_setting_137.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 677
  • e2_123.jpg
    e2_123.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 691
2.4 render

Hi Martin,

Yes I used 2.4 using the same textures as in previous versions. I redid the scene with 2.4. I didn't open an old project. Here is a sample render.

How can I get you the project for you to look at?

-RIcardo

Attachments

• transparency_render_107.jpg
    transparency_render_107.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 676
Re: e.g.

emu said:
I am using the demo version. Thank you very much for writing this application, I really appreciate its simplicity.

This being said, I probably have the same problem as Ricardo, the following is made with 2.4

Hi,
no that is another problem. I will address that in another update.

Sorry.

By,
Martin

Martin said:
emu said:

Hi,
no that is another problem. I will address that in another update.

Sorry.

By,
Martin

Thank you Martin. I know that it is not the right place to ask, (Sorry Ricardo for hijacking your thread) Would you please elaborate a little on this "other" problem, at least could you link me to a thread where this has been addressed? Thanks.

Ricardo said:
Thank you Martin. On its way.

Hi Ricardo,
I got it. Thank you very much. And it was my fault. Sorry. Cheetah3D had indeed problems with your scene. It was a bug but I was able to fix it. :wink:

By,
Martin

P.S. As you can see on the image it works. :wink:

Attachments

• test_128.jpg
    test_128.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 518
Thank you

That's great Martin! Is there going to be an update to download? Thanks for your amazing quick responses.

-Ricardo

emu said:
Would you please elaborate a little on this "other" problem, at least could you link me to a thread where this has been addressed? Thanks.

The problem has something to do with the irradiance cache which has some problems if you view through transparent object. I think it wasn't discussed yet. The only workarround at the moment is to disable the irradiance cache. Do do that you have to set the "error" property in the radiosity tag to zero. But doing that increases the rendering time seriously.

To save some time you can combine the "radiosity" samples with the "antialiasing oversampling" samples. For example if you set the "oversampling pass 1" samples to 16 and the radisoity samples to 25 you actually get 400 radiosity samples per pixel. But that is still quite time consuming.

As I've already said I'm aware of the problem and will solve it. It might just take some time.

By,
Martin

Thank you Martin for the explanation. As per your instruction, I made some tests, here is the result. It is not fast, but not painfully slow either :) but as you can see, I probably need to increase the sampling to get a smoother texture.

Kind regards,

Emu

Attachments

• eau2a_195.jpg
    eau2a_195.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 521
Back