A few renders to get things started on the new forum

A few renders to get things started on the new forum

bugatti.jpg

This was the first render I did in Cheetah3D, (except of course for the tutorial pig). Model was done by a member of the SketchUp Forum and was exported from SketchUp to Cheetah as a 3ds.

After import and about twenty minutes of playing with the controls I had my first Cheetah render. Unbelievably easy and fast.

farns.jpg

Another render from an early experiment. This is a SketchUp model, rendered in Cheetah, composited with a background in Photoshop, then imported into Piranesi to add people.

gellersen.jpg

This is a model of Gelleresen Hall on Valparaiso University's campus in Valparaiso, Indiana. We are preparing to add a large addition to the building so we have developed a model of the existing conditions and site for the early design study renders we will develop for presentations to the client.

Again, modeled in SketchUp and exported flawlessly as a 3ds, some topo work in Cheetah3D, and people and landscaping added in Piranesi.

Light probe and one distant light for the sun.

Interiors

noguchi.jpg

Here is one of my first interior lighting experiments. SketchUp models for room and table lamp, furniture models provided by manufacturers.

One area light from above, three spots used for downlights in the lamp and an area light from the exterior. This was also a point light with shadows off in the foregroung to provide fill light for the sofa and ottoman. Rendered with ambient occlusion setting.

Great work!! I have already seen some of your work at the puspullbar. And congratulations on being the first one to post! :p I'm learning Cheetah 3d now and am already using sketchup. Hope to see more of your work in the future! Greetings

Sora said:
This surpasses my modelling skills :eek: . The model of Gelleresen Hall is stunning.

Sora.

The Gellersen model I did form scratch. thank you. Also the light on the table the interior. It's a mixed bag of my stuff and other models provided on the internet and the generous folks at the SketchUp forum.

I work for an architect and interior design firm and have access to models from manufacturers.

I'll post some links later to a view place that have models for anyone to use.

Hi Jake...

how did you get all of the roadster that I sent you a while back to be rendered correctly... remember how mine kept on dropping out a section of the exhaust pipe... altho it was in the C3d model as being OK...

cheers
Trevor

Pretty neat interior render Jake... I see you are coming to grips with the interior lighting... great work as per usual...

cheers

Also Jake...

sorry if I keep hounding you...

how did you assign different materials to the different parts of the car...

or in any model for that matter...

as I can assign materials in SU but they typically don't come into C3d and I then have no idea how to assign them in C3d as typically the models come in not as a whole series of groups/models but as a single model... with or without a list of materials attached to it...

I definitely feel a few tutorials would be great for the basic things as well since every 3d app does things differently... altho what I figured out about C3d has been FAR FAR more than I have ever been able to figure out about any other render apps...!!!

cheers
Trevor

TrevorM-L said:
Also Jake...

as I can assign materials in SU but they typically don't come into C3d and I then have no idea how to assign them in C3d as typically the models come in not as a whole series of groups/models but as a single model... with or without a list of materials attached to it...

I definitely feel a few tutorials would be great for the basic things as well since every 3d app does things differently... altho what I figured out about C3d has been FAR FAR more than I have ever been able to figure out about any other render apps...!!!

cheers
Trevor

TrevorM-L,

It's just an idea. When you have your model in Cheetah, make it editable and use the polygon selection then assign your materials to your polygon selections.

Sora.

Sora...

when you say to assign your materials to your polygon selections what precisely do you mean... I select them and what do I then do to "assign" them to the selection... bit slow on the uptake here... and not having C3d in front of me (at work on a peecee....!!!) makes it a bit difficult...

thanx and cheers
Trevor

TrevorM-L said:
Sora...

when you say to assign your materials to your polygon selections what precisely do you mean... I select them and what do I then do to "assign" them to the selection... bit slow on the uptake here... and not having C3d in front of me (at work on a peecee....!!!) makes it a bit difficult...

thanx and cheers
Trevor

When you get home, fire up Cheetah and hit Help/Cheetah3D Help (or Option + ?). This will open the Cheetah help files in Safari. Scroll down a bit and look for the header "Tutorials". Click the "Soccer Ball" tutorial. Scroll down a bit and look for step 2 and 3. If you need additional help just ask me :wink: . I know it's a bit lame to point you to a tutorial but I'm not good at explaining things :roll: .

Sora.

TrevorM-L said:
Also Jake...

cheers
Trevor

Trevor,

There were no real materials just colors that were already assigned in the model from SketchUp. I just changed colors, reflection etc. I made the base it sits on in Sketchup. It too had the material assigned in SketchUp

Truthfully. I have done a lot of "modeleing and assigning materials in Cheetah yet. Learning all the modeling tools etc. is my next goal. I have use some tools to add subdivisions, but mainly I have used Cheetah for rendering-and topos.

Trevor,

What settings are you using to export your SketchUp files? I've had only one model in maybe 100 models that I have ever had a problem with materials not coming through. That was a chair by Richard. I'm not sure what the problem was with it, but every other model has worked great.

Jake...

I will check what SU export settings I have been using when I get home... but from memory they are the vanilla/default ones that come out of SU without any tweaking... since I have stuff-all idea what I am doing with all this most of the time... just bumble along...

cheers
Trevor

One thing other than straight rendering out of SU files that I have found C3d great for is the subdivision of curved objects... so much better than anything SU produces.. all facetting disappears with only one or 2 hits with the subdivision stick...

Cheers
Trevor

TrevorM-L said:
One thing other than straight rendering out of SU files that I have found C3d great for is the subdivision of curved objects... so much better than anything SU produces.. all facetting disappears with only one or 2 hits with the subdivision stick...

Cheers
Trevor

Yea, I've used it on some of the eames aluminum group chair bases. Worked pretty good. You have to plan ahead when you export your model from SketchUp so you can isolate and object that may need subdivision.

Did the pool ball file work for you Trevor?

it has worked pretty good so far... thanx for the file... haven't tried with hdri yet... just simple radiosity and lighting settings...

how ddoes one choose a soft shadow or a hard shadow... as my balls ( :lol: ) seem to only want to have hard shadows... in the past I have got soft ones but have no idea what I did then... memory going you know...
:lol: :lol:

cheers
Trevor

Back