Fresnel and reflections

Fresnel and reflections

Question : If I want to make glass with fresnel turned on in the transparency tab, I lose my reflection. How come? I tried to convert this tutorial in Cheetah, but can't get any further with the fresnel. Please help. The tutorial : http://members.shaw.ca/jimht03/glass.html
Thanks!!!

Regards,
Peter

Hi Peter
I've had a go and found the same problem. I'm working through the different render methods and lights to see if that makes a difference.

Andrew :D

Peter,
Ok all the images use a basic scene with no light only the one attached to the camera.
render%201.jpg

The first image used a basic materal with transparency set to 1.000, index refraction set to 1.300 and fresnel unchecked.
render%202.jpg

Image two has all the same setting but fresnel checked.
render%203.jpg

Image three has index refraction set to 2.000 this time. The fresnel has produced a more subtle reflection but a higher refraction is needed.

Hope this helped

Andrew :D

Hi,
to say it directly. I made a big stupid mistake when I implemented reflection+refraction+fresnel. C4D solved that problem much more nicely. :oops: And I think most other modeler handle it like C4D.

I've already written a version of SuperMat which works like in C4D. The problem is that this new SuperMat would break compatibility with existing scenes. :cry: Scenes which used reflection or refraction with the old SuperMat will look different due to the differnt forumula I used in the C4D like SuperMat.

So what would be the best solution. Telling the users that they have to readjust their materials (only the reflection and transparency settings) due to the new SuperMat or to make a completely independend new shader with the C4D like reflection+refraction+fresnel style. And maintain the old SuperMat for compatibility.

By,
Martin

P.S. In the new SuperMat the Reflection textures would also work as expected Peer. :wink:

Hi

just let people know of the new format and they have to change existing settings... a common situation when one upgrade software... most should be used to it...

my 1/2 cent's worth

cheers
Trevor

Hi Martin, it would be great to see the new supermat! I don't think it will be a big problem for me as I do not have a lot of scenes that I need to rerender. A new material for compatibilty reasons would be a thing to think about. Maybe you can rename the old material "GreatMat" and the new one "SuperMat" ? :D Anyway thanks for everyones help. I will post a couple of images from my experiments.

settings.png

glas.jpg

This was the best result I could come up with. Note: the glass in the "building" is different than the glass of the vase. (fresnel off).

Regards,
Peter[/img]

Martin, I'd rather adjust a few materials and have a new SuperMat that handled reflection+refraction+fresnel better. Anyway that's what I think. :D

Andrew

Hi,
I finally made a decision. The old SuperMat will be maintained for backward compatibility.
The new SuperMat will be just called "Material". It will contain also some new features like transparency textures for example. The new "Material" shader will also filter shadows. For example the shadow behind a red window is red. In combination with the transparency texture you can make stained glass windows.

By,
Martin

P.S. Nice vase peer. :D

Thanks Martin! I think it's a good decision to keep the existing Supermat. Is the late July release still accurate? :D

Hi,
I'm working hard to fullfil that release date. 8)

I just have to update some documentation.

By,
Martin

Hi Peter,
I want to share this img with you. Inspired by the linked tutorial I wanted to know how far Cheetah3d can take me. I think it´s very close - except the colored shadows generated by light flowing through colored glas - I think that´s the only limitation by the Cheetah renderer - by now. But may be I´m wrong.

bye
frank

PS.: You can get the .jas-file with my settings for a deeper exploring, if you like, but -
ooooops; dealing with Cheetah3d2.2b2 on Os10.2.6 I wonder where this supermattag comes from - think that´s the 2.2final for MacOs10.3.

Attachments

• glas_346.jpg
    glas_346.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 1,254
Hi Frank,
wow this one looks gorgeous. Great work. The next update of Cheetah3D will offer color shadows. But sorry it needs 10.3 :cry:

By,
Martin

That is excellent Frank... very nicely done indeed...

I wouldn't mind getting the .jas file if possible to check out your glass settings...

kuupoika_at_gmail_dot_com

if you don't mind that is...

cheers
Trevor

Hi Frank,
Your image sure looks great!! Can you mail me the .jas aswell? Thanks!! Or you could post a screengrab of your glass settings ?

Martin,

Do you happen to know when the next version of Cheetah3D is likely to be released? I'm aware that there's a huge amount of things for you to do, but I was just wondering if you'd be able to guess how long it will be before you're comfortable releasing another beta for us all. =)

Think it allow us to write our own Shaders?

Hi,
it's just a matter of days until I release a beta. I'm still waiting for the green light from the licenser from which I've licensed a high end polygon triangulator. It' just a formal problem.

This triangulator is extemly robust and up to 100 times faster than the current triangulator in Cheetah3D. It cuts through complex logos or fonts like a hot knife through butter. :D

So theoretically the beta is already finished.

RandyWang said:
Think it allow us to write our own Shaders?
Sorry but you won't be able to write shaders by yourself in that release.

By,
Martin

Hi.
These are my settings for the glasbowl.
Seems simple, should be simple - is simple.
Even if it does not tell the whole story.

bye
frank

Attachments

• glassettings_118.jpg
    glassettings_118.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 1,101
This my go with Frank's glass settings...

have upped the oversampling pass 2 to 32 and the radiosity samples to 800... otherwise the same settings...

took 161 minutes on a 1.5Ghz PB with 512 RAM...

Attachments

• vase_01s_162.png
    vase_01s_162.png
    68.9 KB · Views: 1,128
Back